1753746 Members
5019 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding Second CPU

Dan Jones_5
Occasional Contributor

Adding Second CPU

I am trying to add a second cpu to a Proliant 1850r. When I add the cpu the server shutsdown after the memory test. I do have the second voltage regulator in the slot. Is there anything specific that needs to be done before the system will recognize the second processor?
2 REPLIES 2
Jim French
Advisor

Re: Adding Second CPU

Perhaps the new processor is no good?
Considering it's an 1850r I doubt it was new probably refurbed at the least it's been sitting in inventory for a year or more.
You may want to try pulling out your old CPU and the new one and put only the new on in the old CPUs spot. If it boots ok add your old cpu in the second slot. If all is well chock it up to bad seating, whatever. If it doesn't boot pull the second cpu again and try each PPM with a single processor.
As for missing anything I don't think so. Some Compaq/HPs require you to install an additional optional fan along with a cpu upgrade you can check into that in the maintenance manual.
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

Re: Adding Second CPU

I just went through the same process, except it was for two DL380 servers. When the CPUs and PPM modules were inserted, the server would go through various stages of POST, then shutdown, pause 30 seconds and repeat the process, each time shutting down at the exact same point.

I had the supplier replace the CPUs that I had purchased, and the problems went away.