5072 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding a 2nd processor to an ML370 g2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Duncan_12

Adding a 2nd processor to an ML370 g2

I have just bought am ML370 G2 with a 1.1 gig processor and 1 gig of RAM. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a donkey! How do I go about installing a second processor to this machine? Does it need a reinstall of MS SBS 2000?
6 REPLIES 6
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding a 2nd processor to an ML370 g2

Hello Duncan,
No you dont need to reinstall SBS2000 when you install a second CPU in the server. Just make sure that the system bios is uptodate and you have a full backup of your data. You need the following kit for your Server:

Pentium III P1.133-512K Processor Option Kit 238888-B21

Here is the link to update the system bios as well as other drivers for your server:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1341.html

Regards,
Duncan_12

Many thanks! I'll Try that.

Duncan
beat steiner
Occasional Advisor

Windows setup might have installed a single CPU kernel. At least on WinNT4.0, a resource kit or similar stuff was available to upgrade the kernel to SMP (symmetric multi processing).

I do not know how SBS2k handles this issue.

-- Beat
Duncan_12

Looks like you might be wright. I have installed the processor and it can be seen during boot but it doen't appear in windows.

Back to the drawing board..............!

Regards

Duncan
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Duncan,
That's not a problem. It can be seen in the OS as well. There is a process on the Microsoft Site. And if you don't mind dropping me an email then I can email you the process. My email address: sunil.jerath@hp.com

You can also go on Technet site and just type the keyword: Multi CPU upgrade or something in regards to CPU upgrade.

Regards,
Orjan Jerijervi
Advisor

Adding MPS support in W2k after adding second cpu:
In the device manager you can expand the computer tab. Go to properties on the type of computer listed (Standard PC etc.) Update driver and select the option for you will select the driver from a list. Then click "Show all hardware of this device class". Select apropiate multiprocessor driver for you. Probably you can use driver "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".
See screenshot attatched.

Orjan