cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a 36 gig SCSI HDD

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Adding a 36 gig SCSI HDD

Hi, I have an ML370 server here with (5) 9.1 gig HDD's running on one array. One is a spare I believe. Now the front mounting bracket looks like it can use up to 6 drives.
My questions are:
1. Can I just add a 36.4 gig HDD to the 6th slot?
2. If I do that would I have to make a new array for that drive or can I add it to the current array?
3. What options do I have if I can't add it to the 6th slot.

Sorry but I have very little knowledge on SCSI technology and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding a 36 gig SCSI HDD

HI, yes six drives are possible on this cage and yes you can add the extra space 36.4 gig drive to your existing array. Hope this will help.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Let me add one thing to the last post: The 36.4 GB drive will be treated exactly like a 9.1 GB drive if it's added to the existing array. For all intents and purposes it will not be a 36.4 GB drive when it's part of the current array.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the same situation also. My current server have 3x 9.2GB hardisk and configured using RAID 5. I bought additional 2 more 18.2GB. Problem is how do I fully optimized the 36.4GB disk space from the 2 hardisk. I know if I were to put it into the existing RAID I can only make use of 18.4GB only. Thanks