108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding a drive new array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yasser Hussein
Occasional Advisor

Adding a drive new array

Hi all. I currently have a Proliant ML350 with a Smart 532 Controller and 2 x 36Gb drives in a RAID 1 configuration. I would like to add an additional 3 x 146Gb disks in a second RAID 5 array (i.e. a totally separate array from the existing RAID 1 array - which would remain as is). I would like to know whether this is firstly possible with the Smart Array 532 controller and if so, what the procedure would be.

Many thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Of course it is possible.
Switch server on, insert disks (or insert disks and switch server on :)), run ACU, create second Array (propably Array B) from new iserted 146GB disks, create logical disk(s). That's all.
Remember that all drives resides on one SCSI channel.
regards,
Andrzej
Yasser Hussein
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the quick response - I had a feeling that was the procedure but wanted to be sure so I'm grateful for the confirmation! I'm running the newer HTML-based ACU v7.0.1 and there doesn't seem to be an option to create a new array on the menu. Do I need to run the config wizard instead?
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

You can run config wizard, but not use express configuration (I'm not sure the name), it create RAID5 (good) and one (only) logical drive (100% capacity). If you want create one logical drive - it's good, otherwise use manual configuration.
regards,
Andrzej
Yasser Hussein
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again for the response. Yup I only need to create one logical drive for the entire array so that seems to be the way to go. I'll make sure I use the manual configuration wizard for that.

Thanks for all your help.