New Discussion

Re: Adding a new SAS HDD to Proliant DL380 Gen9

SOLVED
Go to solution
ogionculer
Occasional Visitor

Adding a new SAS HDD to Proliant DL380 Gen9

Dear All,

This is very first message of mine in this portal. I hope to find a solution with your support.

I am using HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 in my organization. It is inculded with 500GB drive for OS, and 5 Hard Drives (RAID based) in Hard Drive Bay. All hard drives code is: 653957

I wanted to add another drive to my existing bay. But I will not connect to this drive to my existing RAID structure. So I bought a SAS 781577 and connected with my server. Hard Drive's light is blinking at the beginning and then it turns off. I also can not see my drive in "diskmgmt.msc"

Here is a short video of my problem; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_jHkMGCyXA

I am afraid of the drive is not correct for my server. Or is there any restrict to connect a new hard drive to existig bay?

5 REPLIES 5
kkpro
Regular Advisor

Hello. I suspect you will not see disk in Windows mgmt utility (if you mean that) until you create a new volume using HP Array Configuration Utility.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>> I also can not see my drive in "diskmgmt.msc"

Well, windows cannot see the physical drives at all, but logical drives (your RAIDs) only.

So you need to use SSA (smart storage administrator) to either create a new RAID (0) on your single new drive or use this drive to extend the existing RAID5.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
ogionculer
Occasional Visitor

Yes you are correct!

I also found the solution. I pressed to F10 (ıntelligence provisioning) and then format the disk with SSA.

charleslcso
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

Can I use SSA after the server is booted up? I'm new to HPE, and I would like to add/remove drives without rebooting the server.

Any guides?

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @charleslcso,

Thank you for posting!  We would recommend you to create a new topic using the "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo