cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a second HP SCSI Controller to a Proliant ML370 G4

Bob Gill_1
Occasional Visitor

Adding a second HP SCSI Controller to a Proliant ML370 G4

We are trying to add a second controller and the system is not seeing it. They are both HP SCSI 64-bit Ultra 320 controllers

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding a second HP SCSI Controller to a Proliant ML370 G4

There is not much what you can do:
Don't connect and SCSI cables to controllers, verify if you can see from PCI Devices under F9. Verify your system Rom date to latest, clear NVRAM from system ROM, Swap between slots, test in same slot, where firs tone installed, not detected by POST after all steps: replace
Bob Gill_1
Occasional Visitor

Thank you but I tried all you suggested. I have 2 "new" cards doing the same thing.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

would they work in other box ?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Where are you looking? Is it during post you're looking? Is it in device manager? Are they seen under pci devices in the F9?

These should be seen under pci devices. If they're not seen in Windows then it could be a driver problem. It's possible there could be a problem with the system board, but I don't think so. It's also possible you received two bad adapters, but again, I don't think so.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Neal Howard
Advisor

I've got several ML370 G4 machines with multiple SCSI controller in them. One has a Smart Array 6404/256 and a 268351-B21 dual channel U320 SCSI add-in card in it, both cards being PCI-X 64-bit cards. I've also got four of these ML370G4 machines with a pair of SmartArray 64xx cards -- one 6402/128 and one 6404/256 in each machine. Both the system BIOS setup and Windows 2003 have no problem seeing all these SCSI controllers in each machine.

One thing I did, which might make a difference, is that in the system BIOS setup, I have disabled both embedded U320 controllers that reside on the motherboard itself, since I am not using any of the embedded SCSI interfaces for anything at all. If you are not needing the embedded controllers, and only need your PCI-X add-in card SCSI controllers, then try disabling the embedded ones in the BIOS and see if perhaps they are conflicting with your add-in cards.