cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a video card

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Adding a video card

We would like to add a daughter board video card with more RAM so we could get 1024x768 with more than 256 colors. I have found the SW1 dip switches and #1 is for video, but I am not sure of the progression order. Do I boot up with the inboard video card and maybe use the System Configuration utility to set up a video card and then shut it down and add the card and throw the dip switch? HELP!
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding a video card

I installed a PIC Video card, attached my monitor to the new video card, and booted. Went fine - the computer did use the new video card, so I just pressed F10, and let Smart Start find out about the new video card. I later updated to Win2000 server, and added another video card. Also went OK. However, there's a very limited number of video cards that are supported by the Proliant 1600. I'm using a Matrix Millenium PCI and a Matrox Millenium II PCI. My feeling is that the older a videocard you find, the better.

Regards
Lars
Gavin_28
Frequent Advisor

Re: Adding a video card

The basic order is to first add the new card, then to disable the onboard video, by jumper, bios, or lowest level in windows.