5129 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding additional Hard drive cage

astreb06
Occasional Advisor

Adding additional Hard drive cage

Hi

We purchased a ML350 Gen10 server for our school and it came with SFF hard drive cage.  This allows us to install 8 x 2.5" drives.  We want add an additional cage to accomodate 4 LFF drives. I can't seem to find the exact parts I need.  The SFF cage uses an Aroc controller.  Can the LFF cage use the same controller/cables or do we need adapter cables to connect to existing cables?

According to the ML350 Gen10 Server's quickspecs - https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00021852enw

Page 5, last bullet point under 'Chassis Types' it states: "Now the system can support mixed SFF and LFF HDD cages in one system, for example, 4LFF + 8SFF + 4LFF based on a 4
LFF chassis. If the max. number of drives are installed in all three drive boxes, the redundant fan cage kit (874572-B21) is
required." 

It is my understanding that I need the following, but what parts exactly?
1.  LFF Cage

2.  Backplate

3. Cables 

Anyone has any insight into this?

26 REPLIES 26
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello

I hope all is well.

Please find the below documents link for more clarification and the required information.

HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 Server - Option Parts

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00027630en_us

1.   LFF Backplate Cage  

HPE ML350 Gen10 4LFF hot-plug drive backplane cage kit:874566-B21

1. Cables

HPE ML350 Gen10 embedded SATA cable kit for LFF configuration:877578-B21

HPE ML350 Gen10 AROC Mini-SAS cable kit for LFF configuration: 874573-B21

HPE ML350 Gen10 smart array/ Host Bus Adapter (HBA) Mini-SAS cable kit for LFF configuration

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

astreb06
Occasional Advisor

HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 Server - Option Parts

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00027630en_us

1.   LFF Backplate Cage  

HPE ML350 Gen10 4LFF hot-plug drive backplane cage kit:874566-B21

Does the LFF cage require drive caddies for the 3.5 HDD or can the drives go in by themselves and be screwed to the cage? If they need a caddy for each drive, what is the part number for the caddy? That is also if I want to make them hot-swappable too, right?

1. Cables

HPE ML350 Gen10 embedded SATA cable kit for LFF configuration: 877578-B21

HPE ML350 Gen10 AROC Mini-SAS cable kit for LFF configuration: 874573-B21

HPE ML350 Gen10 smart array/ Host Bus Adapter (HBA) Mini-SAS cable kit for LFF configuration

I am trying to understand your thinking process in regards to the cables. Are the cables intended to be used with the Aroc controller or are they using the SATA port that are on the motherboard?  My AROC controller is only has two-ports. Would I have to disconnect 1 of 2 lines going to the SFF cage and plug it into the LFF cage?  Doing this would only give me half capacity for both cages.  Am I understanding this correctly? 

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello

HPE Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Controller has Internal: 8 SAS/SATA lanes across 2 x4 Mini-SAS ports. This is supported up to 8 Hard Drives with two SAS cables. Depending on the number of Drives added to the server, more cables are required.

Since the controller support only 8 Hard Drives, for more than 8 Drives, an Expander or another PCIe based Controller needs to be added in the server.

By default, the server will be shipped with two SAS cables.

You have to use the below cable and SAS expander to add new hard drives. as well as LFF cage requires drive caddies.

874576-B21:SAS expander cable kit - port 1,2 Mini-SAS X-cable to modular controller, ports 1,2 Mini-SAS X-cable to stand up controller, ports 3,4 Mini-SAS X-cable to bays 1–8, ports 5 6, Mini-SAS X-cable to bays 9–16, ports 78 Mini-SAS X-cable to bays 17–24

876907-001:12Gb PCIe SAS expander - 28-physical links across 9x4 internal ports, 12Gb/s SAS, 6Gb/s SATA, PCIe 3.0x8 link 

4 LFF HP Chassis with optional HDD Cage Kit (874566-B21) to be selected. Upgradeable to 12 LFF max.

HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 Server - Identifying Components

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00027635en_us

HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 Server quickspecs

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00021852enw

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

astreb06
Occasional Advisor

Let me say, I appreciate your help very much.

I was looking at the parts you were recommending and making sure that they met our needs. 

874576-B21 : SAS expander cable kit, is NOT compatible with LFF configuration.

According to the link below...

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00021852enw#

876907-001 : 12Gb PCIe SAS expander - This part is not found in the ML350 Gen10 documentation.  I found it for Gen9, but I worry that it is not compatible. 

If caddies are required for the LFF HDDs, I could not find a part number for them or find and success looking at the HPE store.

Alternatively....

I was thinking that hot-swappable setup in not required as we will not be needing to do quick changes like that in my setting.  The LFF HDD will be holding archival data and other files that will not be continually accessed by a large quantity of people either.  With that in mind, it may be easier and cost effective to utilize the SATA ports that are embedded on the motherboard and that are integrated with the embedded Smart Array S100i controller.  I know I will be sacrificing performance going this route.

I saw these parts, 

874567-B21 : None Hot Swappable LFF cage kit / does it comes with backplane? Is a backplane required for this part?

https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/options/drives-storage/server-drive-upgrade-kits/hard-drive-accessories/hpe-drive-cages/hpe-ml350-gen10-4lff-non-hot-plug-drive-cage-kit/p/874567-B21

877578-B21 : HPE ML350 Gen10 Embedded SATA Cable Kit for LFF Configuration / Do these kits come with both power and data cables or are they purchased separatly? 

https://buy.hpe.com/us/en/options/cables-cable-kits/server-cables-cable-kits/server-cables-cable-kits/hpe-server-cables-cable-kits/p/5322806?pageSize=50&sku=877578-B21

Is there anything else that I am missing?

A lot of these questions would be easily solved if HPE supplied actual pictures for all their inventory.  A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

Please let me know if I am going the right direction.  Do I need more parts, or is what I listed satisfactory? 

spchester
Visitor

Did you ever get a final answer on this or try doing it? I'm looking at doing something similar. I might just add another controller instead of the SAS expander since there doesn't seem to be a clear answer. (The 408i appears to be cheaper than the SAS expander.)

I believe the LFF trays are 651314-001 if you're going to supply your own drives. All the HP drives are going to come in trays.

I'm thinking I need (to add LFF cage to 8 SFF P11053-001):

830824-B21 HPE Smart Array P408i-p SR Gen10 Controller - 12Gb/s SAS, Serial ATA/600 - PCI Express 3.0 x8

874574-B21 HPE ML350 Gen10 LFF SA/HBA Cable Kit (Assuming I need one per enclosure?)

874566-B21 HPE Drive Enclosure Internal - 4 x HDD Supported - 4 x 3.5" Bay

874572-B21 HPE ML350 Gen10 Redundent Fan Cage Kit with 4 Fan Modules

astreb06
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

No, I did not recieve a for sure answer.  My supervisor ordered the parts that we "think" we will need, but, have yet to recieve them. Covid-19 is to blame.  I will follow-up with my supervisor about this.  

eoji
Occasional Visitor

I am also curious if you got this setup working. My situation is that I have 5 SFF drives in one cage and just purchased the LFF cage and drive trays. I would like to just remove one of the SFF drives and add the 4 drives to the LFF cage to utilize the 8 HDD limit for the P408i-a SR Gen10 raid controller. It has two cables that go to the SFF bay currently. Would I just be able to remove one of those cables and connect it to the LFF cage? I couldn't tell if the power cable came with the LFF cage or would I need to purchase the cable kit 874573-B21 

Ideally, I would prefer not to spend $50 for just a power cable. 

astreb06
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

We ended up purchasing the Non-hot Swappable LFF cage kit, which appears to come with a combo cable for both data and power for the drives. The actual part number was different than what was ordered, but it works for what we needed to do.  

Not knowing exactly what we would get from HPE (pictures are worth a thousand words HPE) and because the SFF SAS cables were long enough, we decided to move the SFF cage to the top server bay. On the ML350 server, if you look near the bottom bay on the motherboard, you will notice two SATA ports interfaces embedded. We decided to plug our LFF cables right into the embedded interface instead of the raid controller.  For our needs, we did not find it necessary to purchase any adapters, extenders.

Front of LFF cageFront of LFF cageBack side, no backplate was includedBack side, no backplate was includedThis was included, both data and power cableThis was included, both data and power cableSide with part numberSide with part number

eoji
Occasional Visitor

Thank you so much! I am going to try the hot-swappable bay and see what I get for cables.