1753518 Members
5172 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding additional Hard drive cage

RATA1

Hello,

What was the part number you used to get the cage with the cable included?

Just got my ML350 with an 8 bay SFF and it's very frustrating finding the bits required to add a LFF cage WITH the cables.. The LFF cage is advertised s a "kit" but it appears you only get the metal hardware (and the backplane if hot swap) with no cables. The power cable seems to be close to £100 which can't be right can it?

Thanks

astreb06
Occasional Advisor

The pictures I posted earlier is what comes with the kit.
RATA1

So what part number did you use to order? 874567-B21?

Thanks

spchester
Visitor

For whatever it is worth, this is the relevant BOM for what we ended up ordering to end up with 8 SFF and 8 LFF. Hopefully this will help someone else doing this down the road!

Product ID Quantity Description
P25008-001 1 HPE ProLiant ML350 G10 4U Tower Server
874566-B21 2 HPE Drive Enclosure Internal - 4 x HDD Supported - 4 x 3.5" Bay
830824-B21 1 HPE Smart Array P408i-p SR Gen10 Controller
874574-B21 2* HPE Data Transfer Cable - Data Transfer Cable for Server - Mini-SAS
874572-B21 1 HPE ML350 Gen10 Redundent Fan Cage Kit with 4 Fan Modules
651687-001 3 HP G8+ Drive Tray/Caddy SFF
CT2000MX500SSD1 3 2 TB Solid State Hard Drive (SSD)
ST16000NM002G 5 Seagate Exos 16TB 512E/4KN 12GB/s SAS
774026-001 5 HP Drive Tray/Caddy LFF G9 G10

We ended up with an extra 874574-B21, as it is a pair of cables that do both boxes, so you only need to order 1. We also ended up with the fan kit that shipped with the server and another extra cable, 877850-001 spare 878646-001.

My previous comment about the drive trays was incorrect and we ended up having to order 774026-001 as the older generation trays didn't work.

Esben Vidstid_2
Occasional Contributor

Did it actually work? Were are looking at a similiar config:

P11052-421       HPE ML350 Gen10 4214 1P 32G 8SFF Svr

+

874574-B21      HPE ML350 Gen10 LFF SA/HBA Cable Kit

874566-B21       HPE ML350 Gen10 4LFF HDD Cage Kit

830824-B21       HPE Smart Array P408i-p SR Gen10 Ctrlr

HPE confirmed it as a usable configuration last year, but it is not very well documented and wil fail in OCA.

astreb06
Occasional Advisor

The kit that I ordered did work for my needs.  As for spchester's setup, it sounds like he doubled what I needed.

spchester
Visitor

@Esben Vidstid_2 yes, I believe that setup should work. I don't know if you need to upgrade the fans. It's been too long since I did that built, but I recall at some point it was recommended to upgrade the fans. Maybe your base server config already has the upgraded fans too.

Our setup worked fine and continues to work fine. We did add 8 LFF (2x 4 LFF) to the 8 SFF stock/smart buy config.

myker
Occasional Visitor

As far as which cables come with which drive cages, you want to look at the "Drive cage options" section in the "HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 Server User Guide" manual. That section mentions that the non-hot-plug cage kit comes with a SATA-power split cable (I think this: https://www.serverworlds.com/hp-879451-001-sps-ca-pwr-sata-4lff-nhp-x-4-876492-002-876493-002/) while the hot-plug cage kit only comes with a "drive power cable" -- i assume something like P/N 876491-001. And then I think they assume for hot-plug capable you will figure out the data cable situation depending on what type of storage controller you are connecting the drives to (e.g. PCIe add in card).

For my purposes I just bought the non-hot-plug kit since hot plug isn't a big deal for me and I dont want to buy a storage card. I think this should allow me to plug the SATA-power split cable to the sata and power ports on the motherboard without any additional parts.

myker
Occasional Visitor

Actually, I ended up buying 2 hot plug (874566-B21) and 1 non hot plug (874567-B21) LFF cage from online dealers. The hot plug one came in a box with an official-looking HPE security seal/stickers on the box, while the non hot plug didn't come in any kind of official packaging. As you might expect, the hot plug one had all the parts promised in the manual (power cable and cage) while the non hot plug one just came with a simple metal cage in the box and no cables even though it was advertised as "874567-B21 HPE ML350 Gen10 4LFF Non Hot Plug Drive Cage Kit" -- emphasis on the word "kit"!. Not sure who in their right mind thinks I'm gonna spend over $200 for a simple aluminum cage with no electronics or cords whatsoever!!

The good news is that it seems to work great to take one of the SAS cables from the SFF cage (there are 2, 1 for each half of the SFF bay) and attach it to the hot plug cage. So I will probably be returning the non hot plug one I bought (most overpriced item I've ever seen since it didn't come with the necessary cable). In fact, if i need to use more than 4 LFF drives in my server I will just hook up the other hot plug cage (I bought 2) and other SAS cable. Without buying an add-on storage controller card with more SAS ports this will render my SFF cage completely unusable (rather than how only 4 of the 8 bays work at the moment), but probably cheaper/easier to just buy a NVMe PCIe card or something since I'm not gonna use more than 2 SSDs in my server anyway.

I'll share the links of where I bought the products below:

hot plug cage (the good one): https://www.pcnation.com/web/details/2GL099/hpe-drive-enclosure-internal-874566-b21

non hot plug (didn't come with cables): https://www.globalonetechnology.com/874567-b21.htm

RNR1995
Advisor

These pictures are worth a thousand words, thank you so much!
This is perfect for non critical storage, also do not need trays as this is not hot swap