1752781 Members
6121 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding additional RAID/storage to ML350 G4 Server

Rob Catron

Adding additional RAID/storage to ML350 G4 Server

Hello, all

I needed some opinions on the best way to add 3 x 320GB HP 15k Ultra-SCSI drives to my existing ML350 G4 server.

Currently, we have 3 x 146GB 15k drives installed, configured as a RAID 5.

We purchased 3 additional drives (the 320GB 15K HP models)

Of course I have three additional hot swap bays on the server to put the drives in.

I just want to install the 3 new drives to expand my total capacity (on top of the original 3x146GB drives).

How is the best way to go about this and still maintain RAID 5 throughout?

Would these three drives make a seperate RAID 5 with a different logical Drive letter? Or can I just expand the current C: logical drive to the entire amount?

Thanks in advance for any help

Rob
2 REPLIES 2
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding additional RAID/storage to ML350 G4 Server

> Would these three drives make a seperate RAID 5 with a different logical Drive letter? Or can I just expand the current C: logical drive to the entire amount?

From an i/o perspective it does not make a difference which of the two setups you choose. Either way a specific i/o request would always be separated over the two sets of triplets. You can not stripe over all 6 drives. However fron an OS perspective you may have an advanatge having an additional drive letter so that that you have concurrent i/o streams from drive c; and the new drive. Also what you intent to use the additional space may dictate whether you have to use a new drive letter or stay with c: only.
Rob Catron

Re: Adding additional RAID/storage to ML350 G4 Server

Thank you for the reply. We have a document management software called Sentryfile that will be be putting on the new space. I personally am leaning towards just making a new logical drive letter for the new space and keeping the original RAID 5 as my "C" or OS boot drive..