New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding another RAID 5 to ML370

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob_171
Frequent Advisor

Adding another RAID 5 to ML370

Hello,

I currently have a Proliant ML370 G4 running a RAID 5 set (3 physical drives, 1 logical drive). I still have 3 remaining slots to add storage space. What I would like to know is if I can put another 3 drives into the server and add that storage space to the same, existing partition on the original RAID 5 setup. Also, do I need a separate controller or does the ML 370 Smart Array 641 allow for multiple setups? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

yes you can add more 3 HDDs
641 support up to 6 HDDs

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12067_na/12067_na.html

check the attached file the procedure to do that is called Expand and Extend you add the new HDDs and do

the attached file shows the procedure with pictures

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Rob_171
Frequent Advisor

Thank you.

To clarify a bit more before I begin reading: my existing RAID 5 has two partitions. One is a C: drive with 2GB of storage while there is also an E: drive with 146GB of storage. So it is possible to add another 3 drives as a separate RAID 5 setup to make that E: drive more than 146GB without having to add another partition? Thanks again.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

OK if you want to create another RAID 5 that is going to be another logical drive I mean F or G but not you can not add that space to E: and extended to have for example 300GB

if you want to increase E: you need to follow the Expand and Extend process which add more HDD to an exixting RAID

if you create another RAID 5 that is going to be another procedure and another logical drive

Regards
I hope this can help

anything else just let me know
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Rob_171
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Karlo