1753706 Members
4658 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding both internal and external SCSI drives

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Adding both internal and external SCSI drives

I have the SCSI 3 controller (154457-B21), and a SCSI 3 drive attached on the internal interface. I would like to attach a couple of devices on the external interface as well, but the system does not seem to like that. The manual for the controller says "when using both internal and external SCSI devices, connect each type to a separate port". How do I configure that? (FYI - If I add a second controller card, eg. an Adaptec 2940UW, I can add the external devices off it without a problem, but I need that PCI slot back.)
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding both internal and external SCSI drives

There are two ports on the server feature board for internal use... One of those is shared with the external port. Make sure are NOT using the same port for both loads. SCSI port 2 is the one that can be used for EITHER, but not both... Use SCSI port 1 internally.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding both internal and external SCSI drives

Thanks, Ron! One further question - on the board, the ports do not appear to be numbered. The manual shows:

(1) connector closest to outside of chassis - Internal wide LVD
(2) connector further from outside of chassis - internal wide SE
(3) external connector

I am hoping that what you call SCSI port 1 is the Internal wide LVD, so that I can put my internal SCSI 3 LVD drive on connector (1) and hang my external drives off connector (3). Is that your understanding?