1753930 Members
9883 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding capacity to ML330 G6

pkfox
Advisor

Adding capacity to ML330 G6

Hi all, I have a HP Proliant ML330 G6 which has a P410 raid controller, at present it is fitted with two dual port 300 gb SAS drives, my question is can I add two more drives and set them up as a separate logical drive ? I was thinking of a pair of 1 tb SAS drives configured as RAID 1.
8 REPLIES 8
f_silva
HPE Pro

Hi,

Yes, the controller out memory cache support up to two logical drivers, below Technical Specifications

Technical Specifications

Dimensions (not including bracket) Low Profile PCIe Form Factor: 7.5 in x 9.5 in x 2.25 in (19.05 cm x 24.13 cm x 5.72 cm)

Disk Drive and Enclosure Interface Transfer rate: 6Gb/s SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) 3Gb/s SATA (Serial ATA)

SAS Connectors: 2 internal (Mini-SAS) x8 wide port connectors

Cache Memory Speed: DDR2-800MHz with 40 or 72-bit wide bus provides up to 4.2 GB/s maximum bandwidth.

Server Interface: x8 5G PCIe 2.0 provides 4GB/s maximum bandwidth

SAS Speed: x8 6Gb/s SAS provides 4.8GB/s maximum bandwidth

Cache Memory: 40-bit 256MB ECC protected cache (72-bit 512MB BBWC or 72-bit 512MB and 1G FBWC module upgrades available); transportable with battery-backed or flash upgrade

Logical Drives Supported: Zero Memory, Up to 2 logical volumes  -  256MB cache and greater, Up to 64 logical volumes

Host Memory Addressing: 64-bit, supporting greater than 4GB server memory space

RAID Support:  RAID 6, 6+0 (Advanced Data Guarding)
NOTE: RAID 6, 6+0 can be enabled with either

• Minimum of 256 MB cache, Battery kit and Smart Array Advanced Pack License key option upgrades
  • Minimum of 512 MB BBWC/FBWC and Smart Array Advanced Pack License key option upgrades
  • RAID 5, 5+0 (Distributed Data Guarding)

NOTE: A minimum or 256 MB cache and battery are required to enable RAID 5, 5+0 support of the Smart Array P410iRAID 1+0 (Striping & Mirroring) RAID 0 (Striping)

Upgradeable Firmware:  Upgradeable Firmware with recovery ROM feature

For more details, see the quickspecs:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=worldwide&type=html&docid=13201

Accept or Kudo
pkfox
Advisor

Hi there, thanks for your help, I'm not a hardware man so reading the specs doesn't help me much, am I right in thinking I can physically add two drives into the vacant bays and run ACU to create a new Array ?
f_silva
HPE Pro

ok... As to the add new drivers, no problem you can create new Array with your two new HDDs in raid 1 or 0.

Accept or Kudo
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The keypoint of the specs above is this:

Logical Drives Supported: Zero Memory, Up to 2 logical volumes - 256MB cache and greater, Up to 64 logical volumes

Without a cache module you can create 2 logical drives.

Insert the new drives, use ACU to create a new logical drive.

Open the link to the quickspecs above and check what drives are supported.

Open the "Related Options" section.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=worldwide&type=html&docid=13201

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
pkfox
Advisor

Ok thanks, so all I need to do is insert the new drives into the bays, reboot and then run ACU to create a new logical drive ? sounds straightforward enough so it probably isn't - thanks very much

pkfox
Advisor

Hello and thanks, how do I find out if I have the memory you mention 256mb is this on the RAID controller ?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Open ACU from windows and check the controller. You will see the cache size there.

Reboot is not needed after inserting the disks. Just do this online.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
pkfox
Advisor

Excellent thanks very much