1752806 Members
6657 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding discs in ProLiant DL380 G5 server

navios

Adding discs in ProLiant DL380 G5 server

Hello

I am having an HP ProLiant DL380G5 and I want to add 3 extra drives. The first 2 of them in RAID 5 and the 3rd one as an extra physical one. Can you explain me the procedure? Is there a way to direct me in order to find the relevant information regarding this?
Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding discs in ProLiant DL380 G5 server

> The first 2 of them in RAID 5
I assume you want to add these in an existing raid5 array since you can not talk about raid5 with only 2 disks. You need to check what kind of controller you have and if it supports "array expansion".
> and the 3rd one as an extra physical one
I think you are talking about an online hot spare disk.
navios

Yes you are right. I want to add the 2 disc in the existing Raid 5 array. My controller is Smart Array P400 Controller. As for the 3rd disc yes, it is hot swap disc.
TTr
Honored Contributor

The P400 has that "array expansion" feature but you have to have the BBWC option on it. You need to use the ACU to controll the P400 and add the drives and configure the hot spare.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12400_div/12400_div.html
navios

Yes I got this. Actually I am logged in my server├в s Management Homepage and I want to set up these drives from there. I can see my controller; my unconfigured drives; but I don├в t know how to make the set up from there.
TTr
Honored Contributor

I can't tell what tool you are using when you are talking about the "server management homepage". That tool may not be able to do the raid controller configuration.
You should be using the ACU (array configuration utility) and access the raid controller to configure the new drives.If you dont't have the ACU installed, you should download it and install it. Search for "ACU download" in the forum or the whole hp.com
What OS is on the server?
TTr
Honored Contributor

I think you may be asking for specific details. Within the ACU, in the center of the screen you have the "Configuration view". ENsure that you are in the "Logical view" mode, and the the existing Logical Drive shows on the screen. Right click on the "Array A" (the existing raid5 array) and select "Expand Array". On the right of the screen you will se the "expand Array" screen and the "Select the Physical Drives to add to the array". Click on the check box to select the 2 new drives and click "OK". Click on the save icon to apply the changes. The array will start rebuilding the existing raid5 to include the 2 new drives. This can take long time.
Mjema John

I have the same HP server, but want to add two drives in a RAID 5 and this RAID 5 has two logical partitions D and E, i want this two drives logically to be added to drive E, i am having ACU, smart array P400 but when i mouse right click on SAS Array B which having the RAID 5 it doesnt show the option of "Expand Array", please help me on how can i solve this issue?