108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding disk into drive cage b on ML530 G2 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
jason liu_2
Advisor

Adding disk into drive cage b on ML530 G2 server

Hi I have a ML530 G2 server, it has 2 drive cages to support up to 12 SCSI disks. Currently it has 6 disks in drive cage a and I'm planning to add more disks into cage b to expand the RAID-5. But after I put in the new disk, system doesn't see it at all. Is there something I need to do to let the system sees it? The RAID controller is SA-5300. Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

each drive cage can support 6 HDDs and each cage is independent I mean have you opened the server? to check if there is a cable from the controller to the other drive cage?

something else what are you using to check the new HDD added? Array Configuration Utility?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
jason liu_2
Advisor

Thanks for your reply. I did a search in this forum as well and from the search result I'm pretty sure that cage b is not connected to the controller. I guess by default HP connects the cage b to the onboard controller instead of the SA 5300.

I did open the server and tried to connect the cable from cage b to sa5300, but found out it's too hard to pull the cable out to reach the sa5300. Is there any SCSI extension cable that I can connect the existing cable to the sa5300? Or is there any trick to pull the cable out?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

I'm not sure maybe this is your kind of situation
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1091530&admit=109447626+1203894861032+28353475

because only cable is the one you already have

ML530 Cable Kit
Includes:
SCSI data cable (blue) assy
SCSI DATA cable (yellow) assy
Internal-to-external SCSI cable (12 inches) assy
PCI to system board data cable assy
Power backplane cable assy
Front panel LED assembly with cable assy
Backplane to system board cable assy

249146-001

regards
jason liu_2
Advisor

The link you gave is very helpful. I think I'm having the same problem that person had. Now my question is, is there any instruction about how to pull out the system tray to loose the cable?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

the PDF available fr this server is not helpful at all but there is come videos instructions (much better)

ML530 G2

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/results.htm?SID=316545&MEID=C590549D-AFFE-4F94-827E-31EC9B3D4CC4

any other server
http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

check that and let me know any update about

regards
jason liu_2
Advisor

The video is great, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a lot. I'll give it a shot this coming weekend.