1753850 Members
7391 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding disks to RAID ARRAY

RAID 5 Help
Occasional Advisor

Adding disks to RAID ARRAY

I need to add disks to my Compaq/hp Proliant ml350. It currently has 3 18.2 GB hard disks in it. I have 3 more disks of the same size and speed. The server is running Windows 2003 Enterprise Server. My question is this.

How do I add them to the array? Do I need to do it in the Hardware BIOS? And if so, how do I go about doing so, and what is the next step? (This is my first time working with RAID controllers)

I tried installing the Compaq/hp ACU (Array Configuration Utility) and the install program stated that I didn't need to install this software. I also tried to install the Intel Matrix Storage Console, which also failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding disks to RAID ARRAY

hi

do you know which controller that server has?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
RAID 5 Help
Occasional Advisor

I believe it is a Smart Array
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

OK it that is a smart array (please check that during POST)

So Array configuration utility(ACU) should be installed with no problem (even if you don't have smart array controller it can be installed)

Which ACU version are you trying to install?
and which Windows does server have?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
seehigh
Advisor

You need to pop the drive into the server then go to OS look for the Smart Array configuration utility ...

You dont need to change anything in BIOS ..
the Array configuration utility you need is:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-cb964bdc57f8428aa9d6d7d953

then follow these instructions
RAID 5 Help
Occasional Advisor

The server is currently running Windows 2003 Server Enterpirse Edition.

It is not a 64-bit system. Will this ACU program install any better?

What is meant by "go to OS and look for ACU"?

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the help.
RAID 5 Help
Occasional Advisor

Ok everyone,

I have installed the ACU that was reccommended to me in the forum. It installed without hassle. But when I run it, it states that there are no Controllers found.

I have checked with Device Manager, and confirmed it is a Smart Array.

I would prefer to use the ACU, but I'm not afraid to work in the hardware BIOS if neccessary. Pretty much my only concern is that I do NOT want to destroy to OS.

I have attached a few screenshots to help explain what I have done/seen. Any help is greatly apreciated.

Once again, Thanks!
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

I think, more clarity from your side is required.

1) Which Smart Array Controller is it ?
2) Which RAID ?
This can be seen during POST as "SA XYZ Detected" & then the LOGICAL drives....

"IF" the existing RAID is fine, there should be no issues... adding the NEW hdd hot plug... using the ACU... & adding them to existing array or creating new ones.

As you say the ACU did not detect any SACs... please check messages on POST. Also, you may try booting the server from a SmartStart CD & go to the Maintenance tab & launch the ACU. This will help us know the status of the HDD/RAID>

:) Regards.
RAID 5 Help
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

You say check the POST. Is this something I will see when the server is booting up? Where can I find these messages? (I know all machines will be different, but my question really is, should I be looking in the Windows OS for these messages? Or looking for them on start-up?)

I will get this information up on the forum as soon as I can find it.

Unfortunately, I was not provided with a SmartStart CD. Is this something I can download from some place? This server was an old server, which was to slow for it's previous job, thus it was decided to use as an Active Directory/Domain Controller.

Sorry for all the confusion, this is my first time working with RAID, SCSI drives, etc.

V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Hi, as Happy Dude says, if there's a SmartArray on the server, you shoukd see a message from it during POST, in bright white and red letters.

You can access the controller BIOS in that moment pressing F8.

You can download SmartStart CD from here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&prodSeriesId=3219233&swItem=MTX-
1c11694001fb4c31b3c1c04b27&prodNameId=3288112&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=13
5&mode=4&idx=1