5064 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding larger drives to a Proliant ML350 G2 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Battles

Adding larger drives to a Proliant ML350 G2 server

Currently I have compaq proliant ml350 g2 with 6 -18.2 Gb drives with raid5. Operating system is Windows 2000 server with the compaq smart array.
It is configured with Array A and two logical drives Logical 0 (c and D) about 55 GB and Logical 1 (E) 33GB. The disks are basic not dynamic.

I need to install larger drives before I run out of space, 3 GB left on logical 0.

What is the best way to install 6-146.8 GB drives with Raid5 without losing my data?

I plan on doing a full backup of the server to tape before i start the process.

2 REPLIES 2
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding larger drives to a Proliant ML350 G2 server

Hi,

I am assuming that you are using Smart Array 532 if not correct me.Prefered is that you can create a different array, on same controller. where as information for hdd support is on same server.
72.8GB 15,000 rpm, U320 Universal Hard Drive, 1├В┬▓ 286778-B22
where as cage is also going to take 6 hot plug hdd.
If the controller is same sa 532 you have 2 scsi channels 1 internal and 1 external, and you can connect 14 hdd per channel.

Look for following link for specifications.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10960_div/10960_div.HTML

Hope this information help you plan better.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: Adding larger drives to a Proliant ML350 G2 server

Hi Tom,

Looks like you have fully loaded your existing expansion.

>"I plan on doing a full backup of the server to tape before i start the process."
Yep, that is a wise preparation. Don't forget to create a new set of Emergency Disk Repair as well in Windows 2000's Backup Utility.

You are lucky that you will have extra 6 new hard disks to play with --- so without tempering the existing disks, you can roll back whenever you want!

What I would do, is to MSBackup full System State as well as everything, replace all disks with new 146.8GB drives into the cage, recreate RAID sets as before (2 logical drives) with new size, and do a Restore.

For me, I would use Symantec Ghost to ghost the entire build up the way to Ghost server, recreate the RAID sets, and ghost back the way. Everything will be done in less than a day.

Good luck.

Gus
Learning never ends