ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752536 Members
5000 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Adding more drive space on a ML350 G3 Smart Array Controller 641 problem

kablex

Adding more drive space on a ML350 G3 Smart Array Controller 641 problem

Where do I start? First off I inherited this system when the previous SysAdmin jumped ship! The job of upgrading the storage capacity has been left to me. Heres the spec of the server - ML350 G3 with a Smart Array Controler 641
1GB ram and 2x 36GB SCSI drives(RAID 1+0), the OS is Fedora Core 1. This is a live system.

I'm attempting to upgrade to 2x 73GB scsi drives and so far I've mangaged to rebuild the data on to the new drives and extended the logical drive(via ACU) to reflect the increased storage space. All fine and dandy so far ... but when I drop to a console to check drive space it still shows a 36GB?

I suspect that I've still got a bit of work to do at the OS level but not sure what, so any info or pointers on what I should do next would be most appreciated :-)

TIA

KableX.
3 REPLIES 3
asdfasd_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Adding more drive space on a ML350 G3 Smart Array Controller 641 problem

I think you have to create an array again because you extended from 2X36GB, the newly added disks are only abled to be extended to 36GB in max.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

if you follow the procedure correctly I mean
now you replace the 36 GB for the 72 GB and you just see 36...

Ok go to Administrative tools
- Computer management / disk manager

do you see there? unallocated space or something else?

if so you need to extend that to take advantage of those extra GBs, using a partition tool

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
HP_Sammy
Trusted Contributor

Hi kablex,

If the Hp Array Configuration Utility Shows the correct space in that case u need to format the unpartioned space.

Use the Linux disk manager utiliy to partiton the rest of the space so that OS detects the space or u can also use some other 3rd party partioning utility.

Cheers :)