Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new HDD to HP DL 380 G9 without loosing data | windows Server 2016 OS

Monketrip28
Occasional Contributor

Adding new HDD to HP DL 380 G9 without loosing data | windows Server 2016 OS

Dear Team,

Greetings.

I am planning to add 1TBx 1 SAS HDD to my "Business Critical" System. 

Current configuration : 600x5 SAS on RAID6 ADG | 1 Drive Auto Spare

The Addition should not destroy the current RAID Configuration i.e. data. 

Q.  1.  Can I add the 1TB to the existing Volume without data loss? if so how can I do that?

Q. 2. If the above #1 is out of the option, how can I add my new 1TB SAS without data loss as a new Volume?

Appreciate if step by step answer could be given if it not too much to request.

Thank you

Best Regards

Monketrip!

1 REPLY 1
Jazz_ISS_HPE
Advisor

Re: Adding new HDD to HP DL 380 G9 without loosing data | windows Server 2016 OS

Hello, 

Any drive that you want to add must meet the following criteria:
• It must be an unassigned drive.
• It must be of the same type as existing drives in the array (for example, SATA or SAS).
• It must have a capacity no less than that of the smallest drive in the array.

IMPORTANT:
a.An array expansion, logical drive extension, or logical drive migration takes about 15 minutes per gigabyte.
b.Controllers that do not support a battery-backed write cache do not support RAID expansion.

Steps :-

Reboot the server and at the boot up screen hit the F10 button to go inside the Intelligent Provisioning interface.
Select Perform Maintainence
Select HPE Smart Storage Administrator option
Select the RAID controller card on the the left and click on Configure
Then select the logical array on top and click on Manage Data Drives
Select the new disk that you have inserted and click next
You will now see under the active tasks that the Logical disks which you have just added are in a transforming state. This process will take a LOT of time.
Once the transforming is done, it will go through a parity initialization which again takes a lot of time.
After the parity initialization is complete, you can now extend your Logical drive.
After this has been extended, verify the size on the logical volume.

Disclaimer: RAID expansion usually runs fine with the HPE Smart Arrays - HPE recommends customers to have data backup upto date before performing any activity so that you can restore it
during disaster recovery.
It would also be good if there is not too much data written to the array while it is expanding.

I am an HPE Employee.