4584 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Adding new disk to P410i Controller using ACU

Don Davies
Occasional Visitor

Adding new disk to P410i Controller using ACU

Dear all,

Hope someone can help.  I have a DL380 G7 with P410i smart array controller.  Initially we had 3 160GB disk installed. The first two are configured for Array A (RAID 1) and contain the operating system (Redhat Linux). The third is used as a data disk and so is configured as Array B (Raid 0).  This data disk is now full.  The customer has purchased a new 1TB disk and installed this in Slot 4.  I wish to make this disk available as an additional data disk.

I've downloaded and installed the latest ACU (cpqacuex-9.40-12.0).  When I run this I can see the new disk marked as unassigned.  However if I go to the controller configuration option I was expecting see a Create Array option but I only get the options for Controller Settings, Physical Drive write Cache settings and More information. I assumed I could create a new Array C and add the new disk to it so that it shows as a new physical disk.

Amy thoughts on how I might add this new disk.  Will running ACU from the SmartStart CD at boot time give me the Create array option.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks in anticipation.

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Adding new disk to P410i Controller using ACU

If you don't have a cache module installed, you can only have 2 logical drives.

See

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13201_div/13201_div.pdf

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Don Davies
Occasional Visitor

Torsten,  thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll have to retire the 160GB disk and replace with the larger one.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

You could always add a cache module to the controller. It makes a pretty big difference. A 512MB FBWC option doesn't cost all that much. Probably more than a lot of consumer SATA drives, but you do get some performance boosts by having the cache module.
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

Another option is to replace the two 160gb (the ones in RAID-1) with bigger drives.

You can replace them one at a time (allow array to rebuild inbetween).

This will give you extra space in the array that you could use to offload the data from the single RAID-0 drive.

Note that (unfortunately) in order to utilize the new space (expand array) you will ALSO need a FBWC/BBWC module added to the controller, so either way, you need to spend some ca$h.

You could then re-use one of the 160gb drives to convert the RAID-0 array to a RAID-1, to add data security ;-)