1748197 Members
2643 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Adding new drives to an ML110G6

Zeeman28a
Occasional Contributor

Adding new drives to an ML110G6

Hi all.  Just looking for some how to information.

I have an ML110G6 with 1 256GB SATA hard drive.  I'd like to add 2 3TB additional drives in a RAID 0 configuration.

Boot drive is plugged into SATA1 with the new drives in SATA2 and 3 on motherboard.

When I go into the BIOS and change the drive config from AHCP to RAID, I get 2 issues.

First.

When I go into the F8 RAID Controller to setup the drives, it sees the new drives as 801GB only.

Second.

I get this error message when booting prior to me getting the F8 option.

"Configuration information indicates drives were configured on a controller with a newer firmware version.  To avoid data loss, reattach drives to original controller or upgrade controller firmware.

Press (F8) to run the Option ROM Configuration Utility for Arrays Utility
Press (ESC) to skip configuration and continue"

I had a look on HP's site and there doesn't seem to be any firmware updates available for the onboard controller (HP Smart Array B110i).  The BIOS version of the ML is 0270826 and again, no updates for the BIOS either.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Adding new drives to an ML110G6

Hello,

perhaps it would be easier to just run RAID 0 from the OS?
Jeffrey D Chard
Frequent Advisor

Re: Adding new drives to an ML110G6

I have a ML110G7 with B110i controller. 

It is my understanding that:

1.the controller was limited to 1TB drives.

2.if you convert to raid, the original boot disk would need to be rebuilt as a Raid 0. [I know that there may not be a lot of difference, but there may be internal formatting differences]

3.you would need to install the raid driver into the os, so that the system (e.g. Server 2008) will boot from the raid boot drive.

I had to convert, 2 x 250GB Sata drives formatted using the legacy controller (JBOD) to Raid 1. One was a boot drive.

I did not think that I could do that without rebuilding the drives.

The easiest way I found to do that:

1.was to do a full back up

2, install the new drives

3. Configure them using the Smartstart Disk to Raid 0

4. Restore from the windows disk (it then ask you to put in a CD containing the raid driver - I found it necessary to have this disk on a second USB cdrom ), install the raid driver, and then restore from the back up media.

I would take the opportunity of replacing the 250GB drive with something better [I replaced my 2 with 1TB Constellations, but that could be an over kill]. You then retain the 250GB drive if the process fails.

I in fact failed the first time. I blame that failure on trying to use the Smartdisk CD to install the driver and do the whole process. [I am not sure what went wrong, but I could not get it to reboot. I thought it was a failure of the raid driver, but I now suspect that the SmartCD changed the boot order, so that it would not boot from the drive] [A 12 hour Sunday]

It all worked the second time.

Jeffrey