4999 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Adding smart array card to DL360e G8

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@simiane wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful info - but I'm still unsure if I've understood entirely, can you confirm?

I'd like to know firstly, if I have understood things correctly. Is that cache module pictured, only for use with the B series embedded controllers, and is it the case that the P series use cache modules attached to the card instead - thus there is no need for both?

Secondly, would the addition of a cache module to the B120i provide performance increases similar to obtaining a P420 with the same amount of cache? I'm unfamilar with this stuff, so I'm not sure what to expect from the upgrade.

Thanks

I forgot a few models did offer cache modules for the embedded 'B' series controllers.  These onboard modules only work with embedded controllers.  The 'B' series controllers are just standard chipset SATA controllers. (with the exception of the B320i which supports SAS)  They require a proprietary driver that provides the RAID function,  so they are software RAID  and not hardware RIAD.   One thing I have not seen you post is what OS you are going to be using. That may limit the use of the 'B' series controller 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
simiane
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Jimmy. This is intended for use with ESXi. I already have a similar ESXi setup running on a G8 Microserver which I believe has the same onboard controller, so I don't expect there to be an issue on that front. I've just been exploring options for improved performance as the microserver is frankly a tortoise at this point.

It seems I can pick up a P420 for a similar price to a cache module for the B120i, so the former would make sense - except that cable kit seems impossible to find for any kind of reasonable price!

simiane
Frequent Advisor

Hello again...

I'm struggling to understand the situation with the smart array cable kit. It seems this is really hard to find anywhere, and the very few places in other countries I've found selling them are charging more than double the cost of the card itself, which just seems unreal.

So as far as I can tell, the cable is required to connect the SAS port of the card, to the HDD caddies at the front of the server. Currently there's a cable going from there to the motherboard, which presumably is the connector for the B120i.
Firstly, is there any reason I couldn't just use that cable? Remove it from the motherboard and plug it directly into the P420?
If not - could you perhaps tell me which connectors are actually required? A bit of Googling suggests it's an 8087 port on the P420 - would it be the same on the back of the LFF Gen8 DL360e?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

pretty sure both ports use the same cable end. If the cable is long enough to reach from the system board connector to the P420 port then it should work. Ususally the required cable kits are because the default cable isn't long enough

Keep in mind you are working with a server that first shipped in 2012 and stopped selling about 3 years ago

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
simiane
Frequent Advisor

Ok that's good news, thanks... if it's the same standard connector then I may just be able to pick one up on eBay for pennies. ;)

Yeah, I know this is older hardware - I'm doing this very much on the cheap and you get a lot more bang for your buck this way! I picked this up for half the cost of a G10 Microserver, with dual Xeons and a buttload more RAM. The only problem is that all the info I've found online assumes professional network admins as their target market - so there's not a lot of hand holding and I'm having to just piece bits together. Hense this thread.
Thanks for the help though. ;)