cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addition storage space on ML530 G1

KURT GREINER
Occasional Contributor

Addition storage space on ML530 G1

We have a Proliant ML 530 with a HP Smart Array 641 raid controller with 6 Ultra 320 scsi 36.4Gb 10k hard drives. The drives are configured at raid 0+1, so we have 3 sets of mirrored drives of 36.4 each.

We need to add additional harddrive space to the system using the other drive cage. But what I have read is that the Smart Array 641 raid controller only support upto 6 drives, so we are maxed out on what the controller can use.

What would be the best course of action? Can I add a second 641 raid controller?

Any opinions would be great.
BTW: We are running SCO 5.0.6 - the goal of this project is to get rid of SCO.
5 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Addition storage space on ML530 G1

Verify that this is a G1. The G1 does not support the 641 raid controller. Unless it was added afterwards.
KURT GREINER
Occasional Contributor

Our software vendor at that time, had supplied the system. I do believe they may have added it.
wobbe
Respected Contributor

The 641 supports up to 6 drives. So you need an extra raid controller. Or you need to replace the raid controller for a model that supports more disks (dual channel)
You will also need 3 power supplies to be redundant.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Hi Kurt,

Quickspecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10494_na/10494_na.html#Storage

Manuals:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=115&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=341571

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

KURT GREINER
Occasional Contributor

Instead of adding a raid controller and new drives, what experiences have you had on adding larger harddrives, replacing them with 72G drives.