Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional CPUs fail

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Additional CPUs fail

Hi!

I have just inserted two additional CPUs in my Proliant 6500 (total 4). The two last CPUs fail at boot though:

212-Processor Slot 10, Processor 1 Failed
212-Processor Slot 10, Processor 2 Failed

I first upgraded the BIOS to 04/30/1999. I then inserted the new CPUs on the existing CPU board.
When I run the system setup utility (from CD-ROM, Release 4.70) it also sais "Failed" on the two CPUs.
The CPUs should have the right stepping.

What did I do wrong ?

Best regards,
Tobias Blomberg
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Additional CPUs fail

We've just been through a similar processor upgrade and have seen two conditions that can cause this error. First make sure the new processors are completely seated in the sockets. If the handle on the ZIF socket isn't in the fully upright position, the processor appears to seat properly. However when looking at the processor from the side, in two cases we could see the pins exposed, indicating it wasn't seated in the socket. Second, make sure the processor board is properly seated in the chassis. We were aided in our attempts to reset the processor board by noting an amber fault light on the system board. Once we were satisfied the processor and/or processor boards were properly seated, we ran the Compaq System Configuration Utility, selected "yes" to indicate the failed processors have been repaired, and our failed processor errors cleared.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Additional CPUs fail

Reseating the processor(s) and boards fix a lot of these problems.