Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional HDD LFF cage ML350p Gen8

dwma
Occasional Contributor

Additional HDD LFF cage ML350p Gen8

Hello,

We own HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8 server, with 1 six drive LFF cage installed, and an integrated SmartArray P420i 1GB controller. We want to expand our storage, and add a 2nd LFF cage.

I read an documentation, and our integrated P420i controller will support 2nd cage of disks without any problems (but want to be 100% sure about this). Currently 1st cage uses both mini-SAS ports, but according to the manual, when 2nd cage will came - 1st cable will go to 1st cage, 2nd cable to 2nd cage, and one cable between both cages (creating a loop).

I also found, part list compatible with the server:

• HP 5U 6LFF Hot-Plug Drive Cage Kit 659485-B21

But I didn't found any information, what the "kit" contains (except cage of course)... mini-SAS cables? cage power cord?

2 REPLIES
KSINGH_2018
HPE Pro

Re: Additional HDD LFF cage ML350p Gen8

To install an additional eight-bay SFF drive cage, an optional SAS controller is required. Similarly to install a six-bay, LFF hot-plug drive cage in a server, a SAS controller option is required as well.

Additional Hot Plug Drive Cages require a separate Smart Array controller for each drive cage. HP recommends the HP Smart Array P420/1GB FBWC 6Gb 2-ports Int SAS Controller (P/N 631670-B21).

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=c04128239 (Page 38)

Tech Lead, GSD CSC | Technology Services, Enterprise Group
JamesScant
Occasional Visitor

Re: Additional HDD LFF cage ML350p Gen8

How do you power the second cage?