ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752786 Members
6179 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Additional HDD causes Blue Screen - ML110 G6 with W2k8 R2 (SBS 2011 Essentials)

Stephen Gultig
Advisor

Additional HDD causes Blue Screen - ML110 G6 with W2k8 R2 (SBS 2011 Essentials)

Hi

Perhaps somebody with too much time could try this.

We have an existing ML110 G6 running SBS 2011 Essentials on 2 x 1TB Sata HDD in RAID 1 (embedded B110i) with absolutely no problems.

Added a single 2 TB HDD RAID 0 array to the server, no problem in the setup but when OS boots it Blue Screens.

Have updated the BIOS, no change.

Adding B110i driver in Windows repair also causes a Blue Screen.....

Disconnected the HDD for the moment and all is well but do need to resolve this sometime soon.

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Additional HDD causes Blue Screen - ML110 G6 with W2k8 R2 (SBS 2011 Essentials)

Hi,

It will be helpful if you provide the 2TB drive model and the Blue Screen STOP code and message.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

epretorious
Regular Advisor

This sounds to me like the bootloader is becoming confused about which drive is the first drive and which drive is the second drive.

Remove the 2TB HDD, reboot, reinstall the 2TB HDD, and then check to see where SBS 2011 has placed the 2TB HDD in the drive order.

Eric Pretorious
Stephen Gultig
Advisor

So many months have passed since this problem reared its ugly head but finally I have decided to address it again.

Remember, this is a running server with 2 x 1TB HDDs in RAID 1+0 on the B110i controller. I can use the HP Array Configuration Utility and browse the existing arrangement.

I shut down the server, install the 1 x 2TB Western Digital WD20EADS. In the startup, press F8 to configure the new HDD, select create and install the default RAID 0 for the new 1 x 2TB HDD which the system sees and offers to me, no problems.

When I exit the utility, the server restarts and Windows starts to load and then suddenly BSOD!! (see attached image)

In the restart I select "WIndows Repair" and the wizard starts up in PXE but does NOT find my exsiting Windows installation OR even detect any HDDs OR even my DVD!! In the add drivers process, I added the driver HpAHCIsr from the B110i driver download and it installs but still does not find anything.

Unplug the HDD, remove the virtual (it even shows as failed after being unplugged) disk from the RAID and hey presto, all running again, no problem!

Stephen Gultig
Advisor

Somebody has suggested that the B110i does not support 2TB HDDs. Can anyone confirm this?

The most I can find is that the B110i does not support SATA drives "greater than 2TB" so this is borderline it seems.