1748009 Members
4298 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Advice - ILO4 Virtual Media on DL380p Gen 8

JVenables
Occasional Advisor

Advice - ILO4 Virtual Media on DL380p Gen 8

Hi All.....We have just received 10x DL380p Gen8 Servers. I have deployed them into our Hall....

Our standard process is to attach via ILO & build via ILO4 virtual media. We have been doing this since DL380 G4's.

In this instance, randomly the build fails. We cant figure out how or why...I have tried multiple ISO's, even running the Firmware 10.10 Firmware ISO seems to just timeout....

I went over to the hall with an external DVD Drive & have ran the latest Firmware DVD(No Updates Required) & been able to build the servers I tried with a DVD, everything seems to point to the ILO4 virtual media being the problem.

I have also checked the HP Website & I have all the latest firmware installed.

Has anyone else experienced this?

7 REPLIES 7
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Do You recieve a error message? Just for confirmation - your iLo FW version is 1.05?

What's the version of the intelligent provisioning? 1.10 is the latest one.

Do You have the issue on all 10 servers?

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
JVenables
Occasional Advisor

Hi...When running an ESX ISO, It eventually times out with a timeout error that the storage maybe corrupt. This isnt the case as building manually with the DVD works fine.

ILO Firmware is 1.05

I am not using Intelligent Provisioning. I am was trying to install from an ESX ISO, I have also tried the Firmware 10.10 ISO and that just hangs..

It has happened on all of them.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Are you using the URL-based Virtual Media or the one provided by the Remote Console app?

I am using the remote console within the ILO, I have tried .net & java

AndyChips
Advisor

Hi,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue with my new Gen 8 servers; DL380P and SL4540.

I ended up attaching a USB DVD drive directly to the server. This is an utterly crazy situation, especially when we've already paid a fortune for the Insight Control licences. I'm guessing an iLO firmware update will address this in the future.

Andy.

waaronb
Respected Contributor

You might check that there aren't any firewall rules in the way. The remote media runs on certain TCP ports. It's a different port than the ilo remote console, but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

So if you can't get remote media working at all, that might be why. On the other hand, if you can mount drive or image okay but then it stops working later, that's probably something else. If you have the option of being on the same subnet or same switch (no routing), that might help narrow it down and eliminate network issues as the cause.
AndyChips
Advisor

Hi, and thanks for the suggestions but I'm on the same subnet and switch and there are no firewalls (either software or hardware) in the way.