1745786 Members
3507 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: [Advice Needed] Set up external storage to a Proliant DL380e GEN 8

tone_ie

[Advice Needed] Set up external storage to a Proliant DL380e GEN 8

Hi Guys,

Ive been tasked to add additional storage to our proliant server for video archiving. I have been looking at something like this   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133047 

Am i correct in assuming i need to purchase a HP H222 Host Bus Adapter to be able to attach the hardware via a SFF-8088 connection ?

We have our Proliant server setup using RAID 5 with the optional 512MB FBWC  and are looking to setup Raid 5 on the external storage also.

What additional hardware (if any) do i need to be able to accomplish my goals. Will the server control the raid setup on the external storage or does the one i liked to contrl its own raid setup (unsure)

Really appreciate any advice in the matter

Thanks in advance

Tony

3 REPLIES 3
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,

let's say it is recomended to use HP stuff with your HP server.

The best idea is to contact you HP sales representative, there are many options - like aditional disk box, extending your internal storage or using external entry level storage systems (MSA P2000).

Jan

Casper42
Respected Contributor

The HP Equivalent to that unit would be the D2600 or D2700 depending on if you want 2.5" or 3.5" drives.

The H222 is am HBA and provides NO RAID.
So if you want good RAID you want the P421 (i think thats the one with external connectors)
If you use the H222 with that NORCO, you would see 24 additional drives show up in Windows/Linux.

OR

If you buy a P821, it has 2 internal connectors AND 4 external and has a Faster RAID Chip (more cores) on the card.
You could install that into the DL380e, attach the 2 internal connectors to the internal ports and the new P821 would adopt those existing RAID volumes.
Then you connect the D2600/2700 external storage to the external ports and you could expand your existing RAID set or Volume to external drives and then expand the partition within the OS.
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

MSA60 $99 on ebay

MSA70 $99 on ebay

P411/512 BBWC $200 on ebay with good battery.

But I'd suggest you buy the New P2000 starter kit! You can get it fully in a KIT for $15,000 plus drives.

Both solutions are plus drives.

Cheaper to buy a DL380e with 25 drive slots and just run that than buy the P2000 MSA solution lol!