1753820 Members
8208 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Advice on RAID /Disk shadowing

Neil Grantham
Occasional Contributor

Advice on RAID /Disk shadowing

We have purchased a new ProLiant ML350 G3 Xeon 2.0 with 2 36 GB pluggable Ultra320 SCSI HDD's.

We'd like to Have one disk with a boot partition (C drive) and a data partition with the other HDD shadowing this configuration.

Is this RAID ?
If so, or not, how do I go about stting this up with Win2K Server and smartstart etc.

I tried setting this up and got my first disk partitions and Win2K loaded, but in Disk management the other disk will only format as a Simple volume, so I get the feeling I went about this in the wrong way.

Perhaps I needed to set up the Disk shadowing first?

Any tips and clues would be most welcome

Thanks
Neil
3 REPLIES 3
munawar Hayat
Occasional Advisor

Hi
at first you did not mentioned what type of raid you want (software/hardware).
If you are intrested in the software mirroring, then it is simple.
in the Disk administration utility first you make the first disk convert to Dynamic which get some of your disk space. It should be done by clicking the left side of the disk button in the disk administration menue.
then make the mirror of the disk size you want.
I think it will solve your problem.

Neil Grantham
Occasional Contributor

OK

I already looked at this, but if you go to Disk Management, and right click on the first HDD that contains C (the Boot partition) and D (The data), it tells me something about the boot capability will be lost if I upgrade it to dynamic.
Is this true?

Neil
munawar Hayat
Occasional Advisor

Hello
No it did not effect any thing. But be clear that upgrading to Dynamic Partition is a non reversable process.
It will definitly work.
Go ahead

Regards