7616 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Advice to buy a Proliant ML

jperezme1
Occasional Advisor

Advice to buy a Proliant ML

Hi.

I need your advice to know which server to buy, because I have seen that there are versions ML310e G8, ML10 Gen9, ML30 Gen9 which are the versions that I think would be perfect for me with an Intel Xeon processor. There are 13 clients who would work against this machine, to serve files and a billing application. And I would like to create a raid 0 with the operating system.
Any advice?
Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Advice to buy a Proliant ML

Yes, first advice: AVOID to use RAID 0 (striping) on a Server host! do yourself a favour and forget about it.

If you care about your data...use a RAID 6 array configuration with at least 4 or more SAS/SATA genuine disks (the more the better!), considering to use an additional disk as a Global Hot Spare disk.

It's very important to select and use a good HPE Smart Array Controller (the embedded HPE Dynamic Smart Array B140i isn't able to support RAID 6): better if you can add to your Server (1) a HPE Smart Array like the P440/4GB that owns 4GB of Flash Backed Write Cache (FBWC) and (2) a HP Smart Storage Battery.

The HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 (it's newer than any other Gen8 machine) is based on Intel Xeon E3 architecture in comparison to the Xeon E5 offered by ML110 Gen9...so if you need more CPU horsepower and expansion capabilities go with ML110 Gen9 (8 LFF or 16 SFF models, see QuickSpecs for details and accessories).

If the reference Hardware you have is (or was) the older HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8 then a HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen9 (single Intel Xeon E5 based CPU) is a valid newer and powerful candidate in comparison with the smaller HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
jperezme1
Occasional Advisor

Sorry I was wrong when I said raid 0 I actually meant raid 1 (mirror).

Thanks a lot.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Glad it was a typo!

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner