ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753770 Members
5058 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: After Installing PSP on Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.3 on a DL360 G5 the system hangs on boot

Giorgos Gaganis

After Installing PSP on Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.3 on a DL360 G5 the system hangs on boot

I have just purchased a DL360 G5. I have also purchased Redhat Enterprise Linux and installed v5.3 on the server.

Next I tried to install PSP version 811 which was provided in the CD-Rom that came with the server. During the installation the system hanged and the keyboard blinked indicating kernel panic. I hard rebooted the server and then the server hanged every time during the boot process again indicating kernel panic.

Next I got and tried to install version 815 which during the installation process rebooted the server. Now the server proceeds up to a point at the boot process and then automatically stops booting and starts shutting down and eventually reboots. This results in an eternal rebooting cycle.

My questions are:
-Is PSP supported on this version of Redhat Enterprise Linux?
-Is this a known problem?
-How can I get support about the PSP from hp?

Thank you very much
Giorgos Gaganis
16 REPLIES 16
Brandt lawson_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: After Installing PSP on Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.3 on a DL360 G5 the system hangs on boot

I just had the equivalent problem on a dl380 g4 - I allowed a huge update to my RHEL5 (probably the equiv of 5.3) and now I get a kernel panic on reboot. I booted my previous kernel and tried to use LDU to re-install my 8.15 PSP and got mixed results.

Apparently, I can't just rip out the PSP and I can't rebuild it. If I am stuck with an OS re-install, I will really be mad. Thank goodness this isn't a production server.

What are my options?

Marshall Norris

I'm installing RHEL 5.2 just today on a DL 360 and I have run into this problem as well. The installation was working just fine on previous servers as recent as last week, so perhaps the iLo RPM doesn't like the latest Linux kernel.
THAKUR
Frequent Advisor

Hi Marshall,

Which version of PSP you are using & what is the firmware version?

Thanks,
AKT
THAKUR
Frequent Advisor

Hi Giorgos,

RHEL5.3 is not supported by hp till now. May be in the future they will support this OS.

you can try using RHEL5.2 OS. It is supported by PSP version 8.11

Answers to your question:-
1. PSP 8.11 & 8.15 does not support RHEL5.3 OS.

2. I think, this is a known problem.

3. They will be releasing the PSP for this OS with 8.20

Thanks,
AKT
THAKUR
Frequent Advisor

Hi Brandt,

Hope my above answer to giorgos will also resolve your query.

Thanks,
AKT
Ole Holm Nielsen
Occasional Advisor

We have a kernel panic on a DL380 G5 when rebooting RHEL 5.3. It's when the hp-ilo driver is loaded. Workaround: Boot the old kernel and do "rpm -e hp-ilo hponcfg", then reboot the RHEL 5.3 kernel.

Question: Is there a release date for PSP 8.20 ?
Brandt lawson_1
Occasional Advisor

I appreciate all the input. I methodically ripped out all the HP PSP stuff (I hope) and am running smoothly now.

My current production DL580 server has been up like 99.99% for 3 years, running RHEL 3 and Oracle 9i. I keep it updated and never installed the PSP stuff on it.

I am not interested in taking a chance with this next server. I'll just go look at the lights every day.

I am not impressed with HP's tools, but I like their servers.
Ole Holm Nielsen
Occasional Advisor

We also had many cases where the PSP needs to be ripped out. Sometimes the PSP homepage is almost empty (no agents shown), then you know it's time...
The instructions for PSP removal are absent from HP, so here is my version made by trial and error:

First stop the running services (RedHat5):

service hp-snmp-agents stop
service hp-health stop
service hp-ilo stop
service hpvca stop
service hpsmhd stop
cpqacuxe -stop # if cpqacuxe is running

or for RedHat 4:

service hpasm stop
cpqacuxe -stop # if cpqacuxe is running

Then uninstall the PSP RPM packages:

rpm -e hpasm hprsm hpsmh cmanic hponcfg hpadu hpvca cpqacuxe hpacucli hpdiags hp-vt hp-ilo hpmouse hp-pel hp-OpenIPMI

With PSP 8.11 and 8.12 we need in stead:

rpm -e hpsmh hp-smh-templates hponcfg hpadu hpvca cpqacuxe hpacucli hpdiags hp-ilo hpmouse hp-OpenIPMI hp-snmp-agents hp-health hp-pel hp-vt

If rpm complains about one or more packages not being installed, then remove these from the list. The hpmouse RPM removal may have error messages, remove it by:

rpm -e --noscripts hpmouse

Check the running processes to make sure that there are no PSP processes (such as hpsmh etc.) left behind:

ps auxw

Finally, remove all the configuration and log files left behind:

rm -rf /opt/hp /opt/compaq /usr/local/hp /var/spool/compaq /var/hp

Now update /etc/passwd and /etc/group from the central password server so that the user hpsmh is defined according to the central password repository. Currently this setup is:

# grep hpsmh /etc/passwd /etc/group
passwd: hpsmh:x:451:15011::/opt/hp/hpsmh:/sbin/nologin
group: hpsmh:x:15011:

At this stage it should be possible to reinstall the PSP from scratch as shown above.
Brandt lawson_1
Occasional Advisor

Whew, I had most of it, but you cleaned up the small pieces.

Tak skal du have, Ole.