1751804 Members
5241 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Another DL380g2 RAID Expansion question

DanElmbrook
Advisor

Another DL380g2 RAID Expansion question

I read in the cpqonlin utility that you needed to make sure the battery-backed cache batteries are charged. I recently rebooted the server and noticed that it said the batterys were low and it failed to change the batteries and that the batteries need to be replaced.

It also states that you may expand the array if you have a controller that supports expansion without battery-backed cache.

How do I tell if I need to make sure the batterys are charged before I start the expansion?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Robert S. Carr
Trusted Contributor

Dan:

I had a similar problem with the HP RAID controller telling me that the batteries were not charged. We had the HP Tech in to do a battery swap but he mentioned that a firmware upgrade would fix the problem. After the RAID firmware was upgraded and we waited 24 hours, the problem with the batteries was gone.

Perhaps this will work for you as well.

Rob
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Dan,

You do not actually need a battery backed cache to do a migration/expansion/extension. The reason it may prevent you from doing it, is basically if the controller has an error, you cannot make changes to it. A bettery failure is considered an error, but doesn't normally stop a migration.

If it is a 6 series controller (6i,641,642, 6400) update the firmware to the current version.

Please post back if you have further questions

Chris

Black holes are where God divided by zero - Steven Wright
DanElmbrook
Advisor

Its not a 6i I believe its a 5i 5300. Something like that.
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Dan,

If it is the 5 series, a battery failure normally is a battery failure. I suggest calling HP and getting that replaced after updating the firmware and giving it 24 hrs to charge.

It should allow you to change the array with the cache disabled. If it does not you could always pull the cache out since it's disabled anyways. It won't hurt anything to do it without the cache, it may take a bit longer though. Otherwise, i'd wait until the battery has been replaced.

Chris
DanElmbrook
Advisor

Interesting thing is if I go into cpqonlin and look at the status of the controller is says the batteries are ok and that they are charged.
Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hi Dan,

If you go into the Array Config Utility and choose the controller on the left and centre columns, then choose More Info on the right, does it say the same?

If it says the battery is ok and the cache is online, you probably simply have a reporting issue. I'd recommend updating your Support pack, or at least the agents.

I still recommend the firmware, and now, the current driver for the controller.

Just eliminate the software aspect, then if it still comes up, we know it can only be hardware.

Chris
DanElmbrook
Advisor

But none of this should stop me from moving forward with the raid expansion tomorrow morning?

Dan
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

First thing there are some known issues with the controller my asumption is you are using the internal controller of the server that is 5I

so refer to this firmware fixes issues with the 5I
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/5364.html

so Upgeade the firmware and go ahead.

----------------------------------------
5I Provides increased server uptime by providing advanced storage functionality:

Online RAID Level Migration (between any RAID level)
Online Capacity Expansion
Logical Drive Capacity Extension
Global Online Spare
Pre-Failure Warranty

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
DanElmbrook
Advisor

When I look at the cpqonlin information it says its a Smart Array 5300 Controller Firmware 1.76

Is this the same as a 5i?

Dan