Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another new DL360 G3 won't power up

Chris Rice_1
Advisor

Another new DL360 G3 won't power up

ARRGHHH !! Not Again
This time I am trying to load a new 360 and the internal health light is red (critical.) I have checked the system board and found a warning light at #10, which means "I/O Fan Failure." I have re-seated the fans, cpu's, power supplies and set the switch for the redundant power supply. Does anyone have any ideas?
5 REPLIES
Phillip Williams_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Another new DL360 G3 won't power up

Get the supplier (reseller / HP) to come & sort it!

I'd spend no more of my own time until they did!

Phillip
The world is divided into 10 types of people: Those who understand binary and those who don't
Chris Rice_1
Advisor

I'm sure my boss will do just that. However, in the mean time, I would like to be able to get this up and running due to my timeline. I had a problem w/ one of these yesterday which ended up being a simple switch that needed to be set. I have checked all of the fans. The 4 up front are showing a green light stating the fan board is OK. The 3 I/O fans by the power supplies are labeled I/O 1, 2, & 3. Fans 1 & 3 have indicator lights which are both green. Fan 2 does not have a light to show if it is failing or not, but it does appear to be spinning. Does anyone have any ideas???
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Chris,
Please try swapping the position of the fan which is not spinning with the one which works. Let's see if that's the problem.

Regards,
Chris Rice_1
Advisor

Well, I tried that but NO-GO..

I have switched them around twice to make sure they went to each slot but it didn't help. What Next?
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Chris,
I have seen similar behaviour When Thermal Trips Occur After Removing And Reinstalling Processor Heat Sink. Let me explain to you a bit in detail: If the processor heat sink in a Compaq ProLiant DL360 server is removed and the same heat sink is reinstalled, the thermal contact between the processor and the heat sink is damaged. When the server is powered back on, the processor overheats, causing thermal trips to occur.A new processor heat sink must be installed anytime the existing processor heat sink is removed. Therefore, you need to Install a new processor heat sink with Compaq Spares Kit 218271-001 whenever the existing heat sink is removed.
NOTE: The processor spares kit includes a new heat sink. The system board spares kit includes two new heat sinks.
When replacing the heat sink, ensure that:
- When removing the old processor heat sink, be sure to remove any remaining thermal compound from the processor before installing the new heat sink.
- The clip on the heat sink is not symmetric and must be installed correctly to ensure proper contact between the heat sink and the processor and avoid additional thermal trips after heat sink replacement.
To ensure proper contact between the heat sink and the processor,the heat sink must be installed so that the clip handle is on the same side of the ZIF socket as the lever. On the ProLiant DL360,the clip handle should face the front of the server.

Regards,