ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753909 Members
8723 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Apply Smart Update component via floppy (cp005934.scexe)

jfk8680
Occasional Advisor

Apply Smart Update component via floppy (cp005934.scexe)

Hi,

I need to remotely upgrade the firmware of one of our harddisks using smart update component cp005934.scexe.

The server is a Proliant DL380 G2 server with a Remote iLO II board. I know I need to boot the server with the Firmware Maintenance CD-ROM but the iLO board can't mount ISO files (only physical local CD-ROM drive).

Is there any way I can upgrade the firmware without using the Firmware Maintenance CD-ROM (either online in Windows or offline using a boot floppy)???

Thanks!

Jeffrey
8 REPLIES 8
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Apply Smart Update component via floppy (cp005934.scexe)

Hi Jeffrey,

See if this could help you!!!!

Page:47
http://h20000.www2.hp.com:80/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00211914/c00211914.pdf

Hope this works!!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
jfk8680
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply but I'm afraid that's not what I meant. I know I can connect a virtual floppy but the problem is that, as far as I know, HP doesn't provide a floppy based update utility to deploy the component cp005934.scexe. This is only possible by booting the Firmware Maintenance CD-ROM and this is my problem. The servers are on a different site and I cannot mount an ISO image on my iLO board.

So in short: can I deploy the firmware update cp005934.scexe using a floppy based utility?

Thanks again!
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

In that case the easiest way is to burn the ISO image of the Firmware Maintenance CD by making a physical CD from an ISO image file.

Then through the vitual media console mount the CD-ROM and connect to the remotely monitored server and reboot the remotely monitored server and then boot it from this CD.

It would give you the option to download this cp005934.scexe file which you can download easily.

OR

Unzip the files from the Firmware Maintenance files and copy that particular file onto a bootable floppy and then mount it via the virtual floppy option, reboot the target server and boot from this floppy and install it.

Regards,
rmn
jfk8680
Occasional Advisor

The problem is that our servers are located offsite, about an hour drive away, so I would really like to apply this update remotely without having to put a physical CD in the drive.

The second option you suggest is *exactly* what I'm looking for but the problem here is that there is no floppy based update utility. I just have the cp005934.scexe file, which obviously is not an executable that I can run straight from floppy. I need the HP ROM Update Utility and AFAIK this is only available on the Firmware Maintenance CD-ROM, which I can't load ;-)

If you can tell me how to apply a .SCEXE firmware update from floppy it would be highly appreciated!!
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

This procedure does not involve you to put in the CD physically into the CD-ROM drive of the target server.

You just have to insert the CD on this remotely monitoring server and then deploy the firmware on the target server with even going to the target server physically.

Thats the significance of the ILO remote console!!!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
jfk8680
Occasional Advisor

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that the machines from which I can connect to the iLO board are also located in the same off site datacenter. I connect to these remote admin servers through a firewall via RDP. I cannot map my local workstation's CD-ROM drive to the target server...
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jeffrey,

Just a verification.....

We would have to share the CD-rom drive and give full control to the CD-ROM for the target server to access it and get connected. Have we done this?

Regards,
rmn
jfk8680
Occasional Advisor

I don't think we understand each other :-)

Allow me to paint the picture:

Workstation (me) --- RDP via WAN through firewall ---> Management server --- Remote console (ilo) --> Target server

There is no file sharing possible between my workstation and the management server (only RDP is allowed). The management server and the target server are both located offsite. The target server has an ILO board that can't mount ISO files, it can only connect to the pysical drive.

I tried mounting the ISO file on the iLO board of the management server (so that server thinks it has a physical drive) and then I tried to mount that 'physical' drive on the iLO board of the target server. While the target server did recognize the CD-ROM I was not able to boot of it and it was veeeery slow.

The ideal solution would be to be able to deploy this firmware update using an old fashioned boot floppy but HP does not provide this distribution method for this particular firmware update.

Regards!