HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the 300GB 6G SATA Value Endurance SSDs appropriate for mission critical database usage?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Clemente Aguiar
Occasional Visitor

Are the 300GB 6G SATA Value Endurance SSDs appropriate for mission critical database usage?

Hello,

I am an IT consultant to an SME, as I advise them on IT issues, namely IT server infrastructure.

They are in the process of upgrading some systems and I recommended them to buy a HP Proliant DL380p Gen8 with the following specs:
Intel Xeon E5-2650V2, 32G RAM, Smart Array P420i/1GB FBWC and 6 x 3HP 300 GB 6G SAS 15K, 5 of them to be  configured in RAID5 array and a hot-spare.

This system is to be used as a VMWARE ESXi 5.5 host, which will support, among other guest servers, a server with an ERP application which uses Oracle as a database system.

The company which is responsible for supplying the ERP application suggested the used of SSD drives instead of the SAS 15k drives.

My questions are:
1) Are the HP 300GB 6G SATA Value Endurance SFF 2.5-in SC Enterprise Value SSD (P/N 739888-B21), appropriate for VMWARE ESXi hosting and/or mission critical Oracle databases?

2) What can be the expected lifetime of these SSD drives in such an environment?

Basically are these drives appropriate for production environment for the use that I mentioned and how do they compare to the SAS 15K in terms of reliability and durability? (I am not asking about performance)

Thanks for any comments.

1 REPLY
scharchouf
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Are the 300GB 6G SATA Value Endurance SSDs appropriate for mission critical database usage?

I advise you to use this controller card :

HP Smart Array P822/2GB FBWC 2-ports Int/4-ports External SAS Controller 615418-B21

This HDD HP 300GB 6G SATA Value Endurance SFF 2.5-in SC Enterprise Value SSD (P/N 739888-B21), can be used in this envirnement, for lifetime is always depending to DATA access

I work for HP
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details