ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748185 Members
4181 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Array Configuration Utility expand question...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

Array Configuration Utility expand question...

I am using the Array Configuration Utility CLI on a Linux server... We had 4 146.8 Gb drives and we were running out of space so we plugged in a 5th 146.8 Gb drive... I booted from the SmartStart CD and tried to expand/extend array A... This was about 4pm Friday and it is now about noon on Monday.. I was able to find the ACU for Linux rpm and install that so now I can at least see that it is currently at 60.2%!!!

My first question is, I think I only told it to expand/extend the array to include the new disk and have not yet gotten to the point where it would add this space to the logical drive, how can I verify this? When I enter the show config command it tells me array A has 175012 MB of unused space, logicaldrive 1 is 410.2 GB, RAID 5, expanding 60.2% complete. Does this mean that when it is 100% complete I will have a 500 some Gb logicaldrive1?

My second question is what is the 175012 MB of unused space in array A? Will some of this disappear and be added to logicaldrive1 when the expand process is complete? I found out after I tried to start expanding the array to include the new disk that I would actually be better off creating a second logical drive with this space and I would like to know if it is too late to do this or if I can do this if I have to wait until the expand process is done. Any help is greatly appreciated and I do assign points, thanks!!!
7 REPLIES 7
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

The correct procedure is to expand the array & the extend the logical drive.

I think you are on the right path if you have expanded the array to include the extra drive. You will now need to wait for the rebuild to complete to see the results.

Here is my understanding of how arrays work (in ACU):

You create an array, for e.g. Array A using a certain number of hard drives. Then you configure a logical drive with a specific RAID set. So in an array you can have more than 1 logical drive. Currently, you have only 1 logical drive. Using up all the space offered by the Array A.

Let me try to put some figures down:

4 x 146.8 GB drive = 587 GB.
(4 x 146) - 146 = 441 GB (RAID 5 - 1 drive for parity).

So you had usable space of 441 GB on Logical drive 1 with 4 drives. Which matches with 410 GB (more or less).

Now you have:

5 x 146.8 GB drives = 734 GB.
(5 x 146) - 146 = 588 GB (RAID 5 - 1 drive for parity).

The free space in the array is the space that has not been used, this is the space that can be used to extend the logical drive. The capacity expansion can take some time & depends on the BBWC, the rebuild ratio, etc. Once the capacity expansion completes your logical drive will still be the old size (410 GB). You would then have to extend the logical drive to consume the unused space, which should make the logical drive 500+ GB.

I think at this point it is better to leave the array to do what it is doing, rather than cancel it creating another logical drive.
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

Is there any way I can verify that it is just expanding the array and not extending the logical volume though? Here is the output:

=> ctrl slot=0 show config

Smart Array 6i in Slot 0 ()

array A (Parallel SCSI, Unused Space: 175012 MB)

logicaldrive 1 (410.2 GB, RAID 5, Expanding 60.7% complete)

physicaldrive 2:0 (port 2:id 0 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)
physicaldrive 2:1 (port 2:id 1 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)
physicaldrive 2:2 (port 2:id 2 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)
physicaldrive 2:3 (port 2:id 3 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)
physicaldrive 2:4 (port 2:id 4 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)

To me it looks like the logical drive is expanding, not the array since the progress is shown next to the logical dirve and not the array... Can anyone verify if this is true? Plus my boss is telling me that any other time they have added space that the new space was available immeadiately even though the array was still balancing or whatever. Will it hurt anything if I try allocating that space to a new logical drive?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Jenni,

Answer to ur First Q > Ur are just EXPANDING the array now, i.e., adding the new disk space to the existing. once thats done.. you will add the new space(unused space) to the existing logical drive>EXTENDING the logical drive. Size of the unused space once it reaches 100% ? well, could be 500GB, depending on what ur earlier unused space was + the new space.

2nd Ans> Assuming that you are EXPANDING the Array A.. ie adding the new HDD to the array A... as explained above, this consists of EXISTING unused space + the NEW space. Yes, once you reach 100% you will be able to CREATE a new logical drive. Space is deducted from this unused space.

Regards.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Jenni, Logically, you cannot EXTEND the existing Drive, UNLESS you have EXPANDED the array.

1) Expand Array.
2) Extend Logical drive.

The new space has to be a part of the array before u can assign it to an existing Logical drive/or create a new one.

Unless, there is something really NEW that has come up now.

;) Regards.
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

ok, I got impatient and tried to create my new logical drive from some of the unused space. The only problem is that is showing as Not Available:

=> ctrl slot=0 show config

Smart Array 6i in Slot 0 ()

array A (Parallel SCSI, Unused Space: 21415 MB)

logicaldrive 1 (410.2 GB, RAID 5, Expanding 60.9% complete)
logicaldrive 2 (120.0 GB, RAID 5, Not Available)

physicaldrive 2:0 (port 2:id 0 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)
physicaldrive 2:1 (port 2:id 1 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)
physicaldrive 2:2 (port 2:id 2 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)
physicaldrive 2:3 (port 2:id 3 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)
physicaldrive 2:4 (port 2:id 4 , Parallel SCSI, 146.8 GB, OK)

How can I make this space available?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

You cant, wait until 100%
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Array & data operations are very sensitive. During rebuilds / capacity expansions it is HIGHLY advisable not to try any other operations on the array.

I'm assuming that the logical drive is the same size (410 GB) since the expansion started. If true, only the array is expanding, you will need to extend the array later.

Not sure why the capacity expansion is so slow. As mentioned earlier, it depends on the Write Cache & the Write ratio. Not much can be done about write cache (BBWC), except install a new one. You can increase the Write Ratio if possible.

Are you working with valid data? If not, and if you still have a backup (of whatever is worth), you could start over fresh.

Again, STRONGLY ADVISED to let the expansion complete! :)