ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751722 Members
5958 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Array Configuration goes on and on and . . . .

Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Array Configuration goes on and on and . . . .

Hello,
I did something really, really stupid yesterday with my DL380G3. While it was configuring the array I powered it off! Now, the disk drives are in a constant REFRESH state and flashing RED!! They won't stop!
Help!
Kelly
4 REPLIES 4
Jim French
Advisor

I would try powering off the server, pull out your HDDs. Power on the server and load to smart start or bios. Then add the drives one at a time see if they go immediately to flashing red.
Michael Saurman
Advisor

If this is a new server install, I would just run a system erase and start over. sounds like you corrupted the array configuration in one of the stored locations. (i.e. the RIS on the drives, controller, or nvram)

If this is not a new install, please give me more details of the servers configuration.

Good Luck !!!!

Mike

Kelly Beauchaine
Regular Advisor

Here's what I've done so far. I have wiped out, erased or otherwise cleared any configuration on the array and erased the nvram cache (Per Compaq's instructions) and started the process over. Seemed to go fine, got the W2K server loaded, had network connectivity, the made the mistake of creating a new partition using Windows Manage Devices, then marked it as active. Bounced the server, DOA. Called Compaq back and was told that 3rd party disk utilities are not supported and that I should rerun the SmartStart using it to create the logical drives. This I did, and the drives started flashing GREEN saying there was an expansion in progress, which I thought was a good sign, until I came in this morning and found they are STILL flashing green and saying there is an expansion in progress. Now really, 16 hours and counting to do an expansion??? Something still isn't right, to say the least!
Kelly
Michael Saurman
Advisor

I recently did an expansion from (2 18GB disk) RAID 1 to (3 18GB disk) RAID 5 in our lab with only a freash os on the drives and it took about 24hrs on our DL380G3.I was surprised myself but with an integrated SA5i you can't get much write performance with 64MB's of read only cache. Read/Write cache would have really accelerated the process.