1748122 Members
3246 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Array Migration

Tom Panocha

Array Migration

Need help migrating arrays. I have a DL380 Smart Array 6i with 5x72GB disks. drive 0 and 1 are RAID 1+0 and the C drive. drives 2,3,4 are 72GB disks in RAID 5 configuration, D: Drive.

I would like to remove 2 disks from the RAID 5 set, migrate data to the C: drive, recreate a RAID 5 array using 3 disks and add a D: partition to the new RAID 5.
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: Array Migration

Could you ask your question again....

What you've said doesn't seem to make sense.

Cheers,
Rob
Tom Panocha

Array A, Logical Drive 1, 2x72Gb disks in RAID1+0 configuration. This is the C: drive.

Array B, Logical Drive 2, 3x72GB disks in RAID 5 configuration. This is the D: drive.

I would like move data from Array B to array A , then Delete Array B.

Once Array B is deleted I would like to add a drive to Array A and make Array A RAID 5 and add a partition (D:) so now Array A is C: and D: RAID 5.

Is this possible?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

Now I understand. Yes this should be possible, although I've never actually tried...

1. Make sure you have a good backup of everything, just in case.
2. Copy the data that you want from the D: drive to the C: drive - I'm assuming you'll have enough space on C: ...
3. Using the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) delete Array B.
4. Remove the two disks you don't need.
5. Refresh ACU.
6. Select Array A in the ACU, and use the migrate option to change to RAID-5. This will probably take a while...
7. Open up Windows Disk Management and you should (hopefully) now see a single drive with your existing ~68GB C: drive, and ~68GB of unallocated space. Click in the unallocated space to create a new partition for your D: drive.

Note again, that I've never actually tried this so apologies if things don't work - and make sure you complete step 1 first !!

Cheers,

Rob
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom and Rob

Actually after the RAID level migration process is complete, you'll end up with unallocated space on Array A, so you won't be able to see unallocated space in Windows Disk Management yet. You'll have to use ACU to expand the logical drive, or create another logical drive. According to ACU documentation the process of modifying RAID configurations (changing RAID level, expanding logical drives, etc) takes about 15 minutes per gigabyte, and is considerably slower when you don't have battery backed cache on Smart Array controller.