1748256 Members
3829 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Array configuration - modifying the RAID level

G N Brooks
Advisor

Array configuration - modifying the RAID level

I have inherited a situation where a sever had a single 36 GB drive set up as a RAID 0 drive. We added a second drive to do RAID 1+0 but I cannot do it from the arrary configuration utility running Windows. Can I do this by using the array configuration utility at boot time and modifying the RAID level. Are there any risks to doing this?
11 REPLIES 11
NMory
Respected Contributor

Gregory:

Check this link with the user guide for ACU:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294139/c00294139.pdf

You should be able to migrate to RAID 1+0. Have you tried using the Express Configuration Wizard?

Do you have the latest ACU and latest fimrware and driver for your Controller?

LN

G N Brooks
Advisor

I have the manual.

I did not try the express configuration. I did try the wizard.
G N Brooks
Advisor

The express configuration wizard does not allow me to modify the array only expand. So I cannot migrate from RAID 0 to RAID 1+0.
alin prelici

Greg, here is how you do it:

First make sure the second disk is identical with the first one.

You have to do it off-line with OS being shut down.

Boot with smartstart, go in Array Configuration Utility.

Now click on the new disk and create an Array B and on top of it a logical drive RAID0

You will end up having two arrays with one logical drive each. Array A is source and Array B is destination.

Now in configuration view click on "source" (Array A) and on commom task (right panel)you will find Re-Mirror Array

The next screen will warn you which disk is preserved and which is overwritten, is self-explanatory.

I used the lates ACU 7.50 but I believe earlier ACU will do it as well.

Good luck !

Alin
G N Brooks
Advisor

I tried the suggested method but never got an option to mirror the drives.

Right now, both drives are in a single drive array.

The drives are both 36.4 GB drives but one is a 10K RPM and the other is a 15K RPM. I don't see where that would prevent the mirroring (although you could not take advantage of the faster speed of the 15K drive).

If the originla array (Array A) was originally built as a RAID 0 - is it now impossible to migrate it to a mirror set? It appears that may be the case.

This is very frustrating and the documentation is of no help.
alin prelici

Greg, did you create target disk as a logical drive on top of the array? I noticed mirroring option will not be shown until you have target as logical drive as well. What ACU version you use?

A
G N Brooks
Advisor

All the ACU will let me do is create an array with one logical disk (the second disk in slot 0 of the DL360 G4) with one member - the new drive.

After that I have no options to migrate either array or drive or any option to "Re-Mirror" the array.

When I select migrate (only option to modify the array) my only choice is to stay with RAID0.

My Smart Start Version is 7.30.9.0.

G N Brooks
Advisor

Clarification details:

When I create the new array the only type it will create is a parallel SCSI array. The only type of RAID it will let me select is RAID0.

Also the Logical drive for ARRAY A is split into two partitions (idiotic!) and so the Winwdows OS sees it as a C and D drive.

It appears that someone goofed when they set this up originally and it will take destroying and restoring to fix it

I can't even get Windows to mirror the drives.

Redoing these drives into a mirror set (with a third party vendor involved) is going to be a night mare. This really sucks.
G N Brooks
Advisor

The online (OS level) ACU I am using is:

Array Configuration Utility 7.50.23.0