108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Array controller questions DL380G1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jman594
Advisor

Array controller questions DL380G1

As of now, I am using the integrated Smart Array controller and I believe I have the most up-to-date firmware. The setup that I have is"

Raid5 array - 4 18.2GB U3 10K drives
Raid1 array - 2 9.1GB U3 15K drives

I have the OS installed on the two 9.1's (drive E:\) and nothing on the four 18.2's (drive C:\).

My problem is that the lights on the 9.1's won't come on (except for POST) and I can't seem to find out whether the drives are spinning at 15K or not. Also, when skimming through all of the HP utilities, I noticed that ALL of the drives are coming up U2 and not U3. Curious.

Now, I intend on buying a 5300 controller with 128MB. How would a fella go about installing this card without losing all of the configurations, operating system, and other installed things?

Will this card recognize the U3 drives and allow them to run at the speed intended or should the integrated controller be doing this as of now, and, if so, how do I make this happen?

Someone told me that the drives had firmware that needed to be updated. Is this the case as well?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Josh
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Array controller questions DL380G1

hi

"Now, I intend on buying a 5300 controller with 128MB. How would a fella go about installing this card without losing all of the configurations, operating system, and other installed things?"

it is supposed that having an SCSI controller and migrating to another SCSI controller no data will be lost because data and RAID level information is stored in HDDs

you know I have experience migrating HDD from one controller to another

5300 -> 6400
5i -> 6i

so I think in your scenario can be possible but don't forget backup your data before doing that

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Josh,

about migration, you check the following :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=374783&prodTypeId=329290&objectID=c00180566

seems that every integrated Smart array can be migrated to 5300.

there is a step-by-step guide how to perform the migration. Be sure you have backup - everything can happen!

There is an issue with ultra 320 drives's firmware, not with u3:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00859596&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254889

It is always recommended to update FW...

Firmware CD for your server, it should update the HDDs:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254889&swItem=MTX-UNITY-I24048&prodNameId=342841&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

In Quickspecs there is no 9.1 listed as supported, although, their LEDs should work.
Are these drives in the optional 2slot cage?
The HDD LEDs are on the backplane alone, can be that the cage has problems...

>>should the integrated controller be doing this as of now - YES

Pac

Jman594
Advisor

That firmware CD fixed a bunch of things on this unit. Thank you for that.

I'm not sure if it fixed my U 320 problem or if I even have a problem.

How do I verify the drive speed?

How do I verify the U2 or U3 status of my drives?

I am pretty sure that I have the latest firmware since I ran the CD that you linked to. Just not sure how to confirm what the drives are doing.

Thanks again,
Josh
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Josh,

when you start Array Configuration utility (either online or from Smartstart) under info/properties of the drive, you should be able to see if it runs at Ultra3 or Ultra2.
If you can attach Array diagnostics utility report will check it...

Jman594
Advisor

Here is the report from the array diag utility. I checked the more info on the ACU and didn't find any info.
Jman594
Advisor

Just wondering if anyone has looked at the attached file for my array. I guess that I'm just trying to get this post back to the top so that someone will recognize it and it won't get shuffled to the next page. thanks
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

can you re-upload it and check if it can be opened? I'm not able to open it...
Jman594
Advisor

Sorry, I didn't unzip it. Here is the .txt file. Thanks again!!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Josh,

didn't forgot your report, only had a lot of work.
In the report there is no error about scsi downshitft. The HDDs are recognized as Ultra3.
It is mentioned that ultra2 wide scsi transfer is enabled, but not that they run at this speed.
Some old errors with HDD 1. Else seems ok.

You can check the speed when copying between 2 partitions and check if the speed is ok. If you don't experience problems - you don't have to worry.

Regards