ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1745798 Members
3535 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Array not rebuilding = 776 (Ready for Recovery) is queued for rebuilding.

RaduVisa
Occasional Visitor

Array not rebuilding = 776 (Ready for Recovery) is queued for rebuilding.

On of our customers had a drive failure and the failed drive was replaced but the array doesn't seem to be rebuilding. It has this status for a couple of weeks and although we are taking backups they can't afford any unexpected downtime. I've checked and re-checked the ADU report and can't figure out why the rebuilding doesn't take place unless this is happening because the server is not idle although this is quite weird as we replaced other drives and it never happend. I've also noticed HP sent us a different drive model compared to the ones already existent. Hardware is a DL380 G8, controller B320i enbedded and 1xraid1 + 1xraid5 arrays, the raid5 array is the problematic one. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Please check ADU report and see if you can conclude anything else than me.

5 REPLIES 5
Walt-2012
Occasional Advisor

Dear RaduVisa,

First off welcome to the HP Forum. 

Technically a different model number shouldn't make a difference aslong as the Spare Part number matches. 
From the ADU.txt I was not able to determine the cause. I expect it might be a data misallignment due to this the array might to "corrupt" to rebuild. However to confirm this I would need to have a look at the ADU.zip.

Kind regards
Walt-2012

If you ment the whole report with the checksum included I've attached it. Thanks again for your help.

Walt-2012
Occasional Advisor

Dear RajuVisa,

Thanks for uploading the ADU , from the slot0 file i saw that drive scsi id  4 went into pred failure however when I check which drive was replaced . All I find is a drive in slot 7 being added.
Upon looking deeper into the hexdata of the adu it seems disk scsi  id 6 was replaced . I never saw SCSI ID 4 being replaced.

However due to all this im afraid that the array is to corrupt to rebuild and will have to be recreated.

The thing is we were quite sure disk 4 was replaced due to the fact it has less errors logged compared to the other disks but we were between 4 and 6. No one remembers 100% which disk it was because we noticed the array is not rebuilding after two weeks or so. The drive in bay 7 was added to expand the array but since the array is not redundant how to expand it now. Right now we are making sure the backups are ok and I was thinking to take the drive which we wanted to expand the array with and replace the drive in in bay6 which shows it was replaced. Anyway whats the worst thing it can happen? The array will go down compleately and we still need to re-create and recover from backup. Do you have any other suggestons about this?

Walt-2012
Occasional Advisor

Worst case scenario you are looking at full data loss off the disks and an unexpected downtime, this will occur when another drive fails. 

My advice would be to plan a downtime and recreate the array. By doing this you avoid the unexpected downtime.