1753716 Members
4309 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Array rebuild

TTr
Honored Contributor

I see above you said it shows up as failed. Is it possible that the new disk was DOA? Where did it come from?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

If the replacement drive you plugged in shows up as "Failed" (a screenshot of the SSA interface would help, isn't it?) no rebuild action is possible (no matter if ADR is enabled tried to be performed by the Smart Array Controller or not).

Setting the replacement disk as Global Hot Spare shouldn't be a requirement since, as written, ADR takes care of the array rebuilding (eventually you can plan to add another identical drive as GHS on another free bay, if you have one, once the array exits its degraded state when the rebuilt procedure will end successfully, it is adviseable not mandatory).

Also disk LED status will help.

HPE SSA (which version are you running?) will help you to identify firmware versions of Smart Array controller and disks plus a ton of other diagnostic/status informations.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Engineer2
Occasional Advisor

The disc came from went out by HP under a warranty call, the server is still under warranty for another couple of months so I got them to send out replacement discs.

I haven't tried using any of the other discs yet as I didn't want to interrupt the array rebuilding (if it was, although it just doesn't look like it is happening.)

Would you recommend trying another disc, just to confirm its not a dead-on-arrival possibility with one of the new discs?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

I would you recommend to check through HPE Smart Storage Administration (SSA) application the status of your Array/Volume/Disks...it's so visually easy...start to provide answers to all questions we asked you (the more detailed you are the more help you may receive by Community users, the more spontaneous details you provides the higher is the probability you will fix your issue by your own in few steps or with minimun help of Community users).

So if I were you I will start with answering those questions:

• What are the LED Status (see above provided screenshot) of all your involved disks?
  • What type of disk (provide Product Number) are you working with?
  • What Firmware versions involved disks have (important)?
  • What Firmware version your HPE Smart Array P420i Controller is running on (that can be very important)?
  • What OS your Server is running with?
  • What software version your HPE SSA has (important too)?
  • What HPE SSA reports (you can provide various screenshots or sanitized logs if you want)?
  • Have you read relevant HPE Smart Array Controllers User Guide in order to better troubleshoot what is going on on your disks?
  • Have you read relevant HPE Smart Storage Administrator User Guide in order to be able to diagnose and act properly about your disk issue?
  • How large is your Volume (to understand how long a rebuild process could be)
  • and so on...

I would not recommend you to do anything (like removing the replacement disk you inserted on the failed disk bay) if you haven't a clear picture of what is going on (probably automatic rebuilding is not happening for the reason given in the above post).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Engineer2
Occasional Advisor

Update: Looks like the replacement disc HP sent out was faulty!
I took the disc out, replaced it with another new disc and within 40 seconds, the array has started to rebuild!

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Lucky guy, that's better than - just an example - discovering that an automatic rebuilt operation correctly started once you inserted the new replacement disk to then see it exiting abnormally after some time...glad you found the culprit.

I'm not an HPE Employee