ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)

Array showing as uninitialized drive after "healing" the logical drive?

etank52
Occasional Contributor

Array showing as uninitialized drive after "healing" the logical drive?

I have a P812 smart array controller hooked to an EMC disk shelf.  The 8088 port on the back of the EMC came loose and every drive went offline - after shutting down the server and confirming all connections are solid - powering it back up showed the logical array was missing one sata drive, and there was another sata drive not in any arrays (same disk).  Somehow this disk must have lost its configuration I'm guessing?  It's a raid 50 array with 15 6TB drives - 14 in the array and one marked as spare.  The controller did not use the hot spare which I thought was weird.... Is that a manual process to trigger the hot spare?

I used the option to "Heal" the logical drive in SSA and selected the same sata disk that fell out of the logical volume somehow - it said it was repairing itself and successful.  I rebooted and now the array is showing configured properly in the smart storage administrator, but the drive is showing up uninitialized in disk manager - if I init this - it's going to wipe my data and there is about 50TB of data on this volume.  

How do I fix this without losing my data?  To top it off, the last time I rebooted I now have an error in my SSA that the cache is perm disabled due to a write error.  "Flashlight Backup Operation Failed (0x001b)" is the error code... I'm guessing the cache module went bad - but how do I restore my volume without losing my data? 

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Array showing as uninitialized drive after "healing" the logical drive?

What healing does:

- if a volume has failed, HP SSA recreates the volume. This action occurs with a RAID 0 volume

- if a volume is degraded, HP SSA rebuilds the volume

So if it was failed, it is empty now

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
etank52
Occasional Contributor

Re: Array showing as uninitialized drive after "healing" the logical drive?

It was a relatively new volume (about a week old) and as a raid 50, one drive failure shouldn't lose all the data... esp with a hotspare available.  I'm baffled and slightly worried this might happen again.  

Why didn't the controller use the hot spare when the first drive failed, and why did the master boot record get erased when healing the volume?