108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Attaching a DVD writer to a Proliant server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kenny Anderson
Advisor

Attaching a DVD writer to a Proliant server

I've been asked to spec a new server with DVD-writing capability. There doesn't seem to be any DVD-writer options for any Proliant box, so I'm probably looking at some kind of external unit.

On the basis I'd be installing a DL360 (G3), what are the best options for attaching an external DVD writer? My own preference is FireWire (IEEE1394), but again there's no "official" HP FireWire card and other posts in this forum suggest that some servers don't "like" FireWire cards. USB2.0 is another option, but is that recommended?

I'd use SCSI, but I can't find an external SCSI DVD-writer...
3 REPLIES 3
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Re: Attaching a DVD writer to a Proliant server

If you are planning on running Win2k/win2k3 you will be out of luck. I have tried for the longest time to find a writer that supports that os and they just do not exist.
Kenny Anderson
Advisor

I could understand Win2003 having problems, but Windows 2000? My desktop machine's running 2000, and it writes DVDs fine to the internal Pioneer DVR-105 drive. Or is it just USB2.0 / FireWire that has the problems?
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor
Solution

I meant server2000. You are correct professional has no problem at all, but I have not been able to find one drive that will work with server.