cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audible Alarm HP ProLiant DL380 G4

Philip Horan
Frequent Advisor

Audible Alarm HP ProLiant DL380 G4

I had a drive fail on a HP ProLiant DL380 G4. However the alarm did not sound? Can anyone advise where I can view the configuration? I am unable to find it using the HP System tools? Also can you set up email alerts?
Thanks in advance,
Phil.
6 REPLIES
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Audible Alarm HP ProLiant DL380 G4

Hi,

I didn't think Proliant had any audible alarm. Just beeps during POST.
What OS do you have?
For Windows, there should be a System Management Homepage icon on the desktop (if it's installed). Here you should be able to see the status of your components. You can set up alerting either via SNMP or e-mail. Have a look under Start -> Programs -> HP Management Agents -> Event Notifier Config to set up email notification for a single server.

Regards,
Stephen
Philip Horan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look.

One more thing. The fans never seem to slow down? Quite loud,they constantly run at max RPM?
KMullins
Frequent Advisor

Simple test to check your fans,

Boot the server up and insert the smart start Cd -
The healt drivers will load up do you hear the fans clock down?
If yes have a look at the latest bios and proliant support pack for the server.

If no more then likely the enviroment, check the rear of the server for obstructions ect.

As the DL380G4 has a hardware based fan controller during the boot it sets the fans to 100%
once the system is installed using smart start, the health driver lets the system PAL know that it is ready to take over and all fan control is handed over to the health driver. If the health driver is uninstalled or turned off, fan control is handed back over to the system PAL.
The health driver has the capability to step the fan speed up and down in increments to account for changes in temperature. The System PAL only knows two speeds: low and full.
Philip Horan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply. The server(s) in question are the main DC + Exchange so I am unable to down them to insert the smart start cd. From memory I did not install the OS using smart start. Can I manually install the health driver?
Thanks,
Phil.
KMullins
Frequent Advisor

Not to worry if you didn't install it with smart start, just run the latest proliant support pack on the server.

Not sure what Os you are running but this is the link for the psp7.80 for 2003
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/26961.html
Philip Horan
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the link. Any tips on what to do once its installed? :)
Phil.