ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748275 Members
3598 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Automated System Recovery

Bill Iacuessa

Automated System Recovery

We have just purchased 6 new Proliant 350ML G3 servers with the SmartArray 641 controller and are in the testing stage. We have set up drives as 2x36GB Raid 1 and 4x72GB Raid 5. We have installed Windows 2003 Server successfully via the SmartStart CD on the C partition. All seems to be running well.

We are now testing the Automated System Recovery system built in to Windows 2003. We created the Windows Automated System Recovery floppy disk. We boot off the Windows 2003 Server installation CD, press F2 to Start Automated Recovery, and insert the disk as instructed. After a few minutes of files loading, we receive the message that no disks are found. It does not seem to find or recognize the array hard drives.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

Bill
2 REPLIES 2
ernst limbrunner
Trusted Contributor

Re: Automated System Recovery

hi bill

the way it looks, the win 2003 cd has no drivers for the smart 641.

what can you do:

1) look for a directory on the smart start cd that contains the file "cpqcissm.sys".

2) there already should be a file with the same name on your win2003 cd. but this driver is too old and only supports smart 53xx and 53x controllers.

3) this means you have to create a new bootable windows cd with the updated driver

4) it may also be necessary to copy the support files of the subdirectory (*.inf, *.dll, etc)

best regards
ernesto

Bill Iacuessa

Re: Automated System Recovery

Hi Ernesto,

Thanks. This got me looking in the right direction. I found that when the Win 2003 install CD boots, I needed to hit F6 to indicate I wished to install a driver for SmartArray 641. It then allowed me to provide the driver on a floppy (which I created). At the end of bootup, the drives were visible. Great.

Thanks.

Bill