ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753511 Members
4747 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Automatic Server Recovery - ASR-2

TFO

Automatic Server Recovery - ASR-2

Have one Proliant ML310 (ML310T01 P2533-512KB, 306669-xx2). It is "discontinued" at HP but not yet in our office.
OS is "Windows SBS 2003"

The server has a SmartUPS from APC inc that works fine. After a long power out where the UPS battery finally is depleted the UPS shuts down the server.

When the UPS has recharged and the power is turned on we like the server to power on automatically. Do we use ASR-2 mentioned in the datasheet? And how?
4 REPLIES 4
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

To have a server automatically power on from a APC UPS, APC requires the computer BIOS to have user settings for power states. Some of this info I found on the APC web site. For instance see APC Answer ID # 1003.
If the Proliant server has iLO (G1 ML310 does not) there is also an auto power up option in iLO which resolves this issue. Otherwise you must have either (1) BIOS setting with power state settings or (2) a combination UPS and UPS software compatible with both the UPS model and Proliant server.
This is a popular question. You might want to use the ITRC advanced search and see postings for UPS and/or APC:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/james/home.do?admit=716493758+1098121437568+28353475
TFO

Thanks Terri for the investigation in this problem.

The URL did not work but i have been in contact with APC before and the recommended me to check the BIOS settings.

I am not sure what to look for. To avoid halting the server just to check what settings exists, are the options in the BIOS documented somewhere?

It should be known at HP if the power switch can be set to auto power on? First of all - Does the hardware support this?
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

There is no power settings option on the ML310g1 as described by APC. APC describes a BIOS power setting of "Last State". This type of feature is not included in the ML310g1 BIOS.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Try the following fix.

It has worked on other Proliant server models and is really a fix for a Microsoft Server 2003 issue rather than an HP problem.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21055.html

Follow the instrcutions on this page for what to do after the reboot, i.e. run GPEDIT.MSC and make a change to the system template.

I hope this helps.

Brian