1753602 Members
6060 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Automatically Configure Raid During Altiris Deployment

greg jones_7
Occasional Advisor

Automatically Configure Raid During Altiris Deployment

OK, I have a bunch of Proliant DL360's 380's and 560's. I am planning on deploying Windows 2003 Advanced server to these boxes. I am utilizing Altiris for the initial software deployment. All servers have the 5i raid controller.

I would like to have the portion of Altiris that runs smart start to configure the raid changed from the default configurations. The way it is now is if I have 2 drives they are configured as a raid 0+1. If I have more drives there is a configuration of raid 5. As these servers have slightly different drive configuration I want more control over this process.

Basically, I would like to change the default config to a 16GB raid 0+1 volume and the rest I would like to see a Raid 5. This is possible in the raid config as I have done it.

Any suggestions on what to change during the install process to accomplish this goal?

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp forum Moderator

10 REPLIES 10
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Hey Greg,
Sure you can.

The Smart Array configuration portion of RDP configures based on the number of drives in your system.

You will have to do a little reading on SmartStart Scriping. Sorry I don't have a link.

Under Program files->Altiris->eXpress->Deployment Server->deploy->configs

locate mldl-a.ini, create a copy of this file. Name it something based on your configuration. Modify that copy with what you want to acheive. The commands must be in order
for this to work correctly. Once completed.

Run RDP, create a copy of your windows 2003 MLDL script and modify the copied script. Under "Set Hardware Configuration" change
set aryfile=mldl-a.ini with your new *.ini file.

greg jones_7
Occasional Advisor

Thanks John,

I have modified my mldl-a.ini file with the following config for my DL380's

Action = Configure
Method = Custom

;Controller specifications
;Controller Smart Array 5i
Controller = ALL
ReadCache = 100
WriteCache = 0
RebuildPriority = Low
ExpandPriority = Low

;Array Specifications
Array = A
Drive = 2:0,2:1
OnlineSpare = No

;Drive Specifications
LogiclDrive = 1
RAID = 1
Size = 16384
; Blocks Per dr =32770560, Offest =0
; Blocks = 32770560
Sectors = 32
StripeSize = 128
ArrayAccelerator = Enabled

;Drive Specifications
LogiclDrive = 2
RAID = 1
Size = MAX
; Blocks Per dr =32770560, Offest =0
; Blocks = 32770560
Sectors = 32
StripeSize = 128
ArrayAccelerator = Enabled

This works great and gives me the 16Gb partition and a 50 some Gb partition. I tried this with my DL360's and my DL560's to no avail. After a little digging I noticed the SCSI bus is different for these servers. The drives on these servers are 1:0,1:1 not 2:0,2:1 as in the 380.

I've gotten this far and changed the "Drive =" to the correct id's and it works for the 360's and 560's.

Does anyone know a way to have the adapter automatically configure the first 2 drives no matter what bus/SCSI ID?
greg jones_7
Occasional Advisor

By the way, I've scrapped the RAID 5 idea and have decided this is the configuration of 80% of my servers. The deltas I will just convert the second partition to raid five with the rest of the drives throught the GUI.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

An easier way would be to configure one server how you want it set up, then grab the hardware configuration using a RDP script job. They come pre-installed with the installation of RDP phase2 (The HP Support part).

I usually just hand hack the hardware array file myself.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
greg jones_7
Occasional Advisor

I did a capture of the hardware and that was my starting point for the file. My problem is when I do a Scripted install of 2003 the install will fail unless I have replaced the mldl-a.inf with one that corresponds to that server type. This is the problem with the 2:0,2:1 and 1:0,1:1 thing. That is why I was looking for another suggestion as to an automatic config of my array.

Should I configure another 2003 scripted install? If I do that then it's still going to call the mldl-a ini file right?
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, nothing comes to mind. But you could just create a script just for those servers types.

greg jones_7
Occasional Advisor

So in the Array Specifications section, there is not an open variable for "Drives =" Could I use Drives = All, or something like Drives = First Two (I know that's not it but I'm just pointing in a direction).

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If you have different hardware configs, you can create different install jobs vs. modifying the job/file everytime you have to install on a server with a different config.

I would just create 2 different jobs for a scripted WIndows install... one for a DL380, one for the 360/580. (or 3 different jobs if necessary)

Steven

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"If I do that then it's still going to call the mldl-a ini file right? "

No, you tell the job which file to call in the task definition.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE