3311 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

B140i to P440AR

SoftEggArran
Visitor

B140i to P440AR

Hello,

I have a Gen9 ML350 and I am looking to install the P440ar Controller and battery, currently using the B140i.

I understand that the P440ar can read arrays created by the B140i, with this in mind is it possible to install the P440ar and for Windows to boot? Or is it a case of, Windows was installed whilst using B140i and therefore if I wish to use the P440ar I'll need to rebuild the Operating System?

Thank you,

Arran

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: B140i to P440AR

@SoftEggArran wrote:

Hello,

I have a Gen9 ML350 and I am looking to install the P440ar Controller and battery, currently using the B140i.

I understand that the P440ar can read arrays created by the B140i, with this in mind is it possible to install the P440ar and for Windows to boot? Or is it a case of, Windows was installed whilst using B140i and therefore if I wish to use the P440ar I'll need to rebuild the Operating System?

Thank you,

Arran

You should be able to install the P440 and cable the drive backplane to the P440 instead of the B140i and the system will boot the installed OS. If I recall the connector on the P440 requires a different cable than the standard mini SAS connector used by the B140i on the system board so you will need the correct cable.   The standard disclaimer. Whenever you plan to change or modify an array, verify you have a good backup of your data.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
SoftEggArran
Visitor

Hi Jimmy Vance,

The cables running from the backplane to the B140i wonтАЩt work then? They seem to fit. TheyтАЩre labelled 6G SATA.

Best Wishes,
Arran
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If the connector is the same and the cable is long enough it will work.  I thought the P440 had a double width connector of some sort but I could be mistaken for one of the other controllers as I haven't seen one in awhile

SoftEggArran
Visitor

YouтАЩre right, the P440 does have a double wide. The P440ar has the same ports as the B140i.

So IтАЩve tried it and the OS blue screens on boot mentioning тАШinaccessible boot deviceтАЩ, Drivers perhaps, not really sure how to get round this.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Yes, probably driver related, the P440 needs a different driver (hpsa). You can try installing the driver while still booted under the B140i

SoftEggArran
Visitor

The driver for P440ar doesn't want to install when booted from B140i, it moans that the hardware (P440ar) isn't installed. I tried to add it manually by right-clicking the inf file and hitting install, that didn't make a difference.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Did you try with the P440 installed but no cables attached, at least the hardware will be present for the driver to install

SoftEggArran
Visitor

It's a P440ar that I have so it just sits on top of the B140i. This means that you can't physically connect the cables to the B140i when the P440ar is installed. Your plan would work with the P440 I think as I believe they go in to a PCI slot.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I'm not that familiar with the ML350 system board.  With many of the other systems, the embedded connectors are still accessible when using the ar type controllers