5478 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: B320i RAID controller - DL360e Server - Xenserver 6.1

Alterra
Occasional Visitor

B320i RAID controller - DL360e Server - Xenserver 6.1

Hi,

On the HP site I see a huge list of opertaing system drivers for the DL360e server including ESXI.

Is there a way to install Xenserver 6.1?? I'm kind of disappointed this was left out.

Can anyone point me to a Xenserver B320i RAID driver?

I boot up the installer and it doesn't recognize the RAID I set up.

Thank you,

Warren

4 REPLIES 4
Alterra
Occasional Visitor

Is it possible to build a driver using existing Redhat drivers? Or is it up to HP to release one? Closed source?
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

You can take the Red Hat driver.

check here

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/General/CentOS-6-3-unable-to-install-in-DL360e-Gen8-Server/m-p/5888237#M21746

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
xmate
Valued Contributor

You know XenServer 6.1 is not supported on DL360e gen8 server.

It is supported on DL360p gen8 server. DL360p server have P420i controller, but not B320i controller.

You chan find this info here.

This doesn't mean that you can not make B320i to work under XenServer 6.1. But the is no instruction, no supported drivers and if you try to build your own drivers or something like this - it is not guaranteed to work properly. And if you call HP support on any case (may be not related to XenServer) you can get a responce like "your OS is not supported, please use another OS and tell us if the problem persists under the supported OS".

Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.
Alterra
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

What upsets me is for some reason HP decides its fancy new controller the B320i needs to be a closed source controller so no 3rd party distributions can build it against their kernel.

According to Citrix the driver must be made against their kernel. Forgive me if my terminology is a bit off, this is new to me.

From Red-Hat: "Issue: Some of the HP Gen8 systems are shipping with either a B320i Smart Array controller or a Smart Array B120i SATA controller that require a closed source driver to make RAID functionality available to the OS."

Red Hat is supported now, but requiring HP to compile drivers for all the OS systems out there is ridiculous, just provide the source.

I have read good things about XenServer, I guess HP supported VMWARE because they are selling licenses?

Warren